We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canterbury or whitstable

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Canterbury or whitstable

Hi, we are a family of 4, 2 adults and two under 5's. we are catching the ferry to calais on Saturday before drining across france and were planning on spending the Friday in the Kent region to break the journey. We should arrive around midday. Would it be possible to visit both Canterbury and whitstable in a day (we have heard both are lovely) and if so in which order? Is one more suited for the day or evening? We won't be doing a lot of shopping more a wander round, something fun for the kids (any ideas for this??) grabbing an evening meal Thanks

London
Level Contributor
140 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

Hi, you can easily do both in a day. I went to Whitstable for their oyster festival and was done in under 2 hrs with something to eat. Theres a bit more to see and do n Cantebury

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,246 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

I am sure the children will be happiest in Whitstable because they can play on the beach.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,495 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

Depends on the weather. If sunny and dry, Whitstable. If cloudy and wet, Canterbury.

Parking in Canterbury on Saturdays is not very easy. You may have to use one of the park and ride facilities and come in by bus.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

As you are visiting Kent on a Friday (not Saturday), Whitstable should be relatively quiet (it's a different situation there on Saturdays) unless it's Oyster Festival weekend, and Canterbury is busy throughout the week especially in the summer.

No reason why you can't do both, Canterbury has lots of old backstreets to explore and several family-orientated museums to choose from for the daytime, in the evenings perhaps less of interest apart from those wanting to hit the pubs.

A visit to Whitstable essentially comprises of exploring the high street, enjoying the beachfront and taking in the harbour, not a lot else. If you're not that interested in Whitstable's independent shops and if its a fine evening perhaps do Canterbury first followed by Whitstable so you can have a seaside stroll, enjoy an alfresco drink at one of the beach bars and hopefully take in the sunset.

London, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

I thought id post here to help future readers. I went to whitstable with my girlfriend for the weekend, but we didnt really like it, it was like a small brighton without the best bits (no pier, amusements, fun fair etc)....we took the bus to canterbury the next day and it was amazing, i loved the old buildings, loads of 'ye olde' style shops and pubs, and beautfiful scenery/parks. Go to canterbury!!!

Edited: 22 July 2013, 15:52
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,078 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

I've done both in a day in the past. It was the middle of Winter and was still enjoyable. :)

7. Re: Canterbury or whitstable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 07:17