We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to Canterbury from London

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville...
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
how to get to Canterbury from London

Traveling from London what station should we get off in Canterbury to arrive closest to the Cathedral

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,877 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

Where you get off will be determined by which station you board at in London.

If you board at St Pancras International, Charing Cross, Waterloo East or London Bridge the train will go to Canterbury West.

If you board at Victoria it will go to Canterbury East.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

The stations are just about equidistant from the cathedral - so choose whatever terminal in London is most convenient to you.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,531 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

Nothing much to add except that you can also board trains to Canterbury West from Stratford International, if this would be convenient for you.

You can get a 2 for 1 offer for the cathedral from the Visit Kent leaflet at stations, or from www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/2-for-1-offers/

Canada
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

Newbie question - How do I best go from Heathrow airport to Canterbury by train ?

i.e. from Heathrow to Victoria or Heathrow to one of St Pancras International, Charing Cross, Waterloo East or London Bridge.

Bonus question: If I am meeting someone in London from Canterbury and want to spend the day touring London prime tourist sites before returning to Canterbury - which station should we meet at ? (and can I store my luggage there temporarily ?

Yes - its complicated !

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

Yes you would get the tube from Heathrow to one of those stations, (plenty of posts on how to do that) store your luggage and then travel to Canterbury later in the day

Charing Cross, Victoria and St Pancras have left luggage - London Bridge and Waterloo East don't - but the main Waterloo station does. St Pancras will be the easiest for you to get to

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

Of the rail options I'd choose the fast train from St Pancras to Canterbury versus the other routes; YMMV.

Left luggage at mainline rail stations is pricey at £8.50 per piece. If you choose a departure from St Pancras you may store bags at the Access Self Storage location in Euston Road just across from King's Cross: http://www.accessstorage.com/left-luggage/

7. Re: how to get to Canterbury from London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:17