We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way Dover to London

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way Dover to London

We disembark from our Cruise in Dover. We are looking at a high speed train to St Pancras. We will have two suitcases (1quite lge) and backpack. I s there room for cases on train.... Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Special Offer
Leeds Castle, Cliffs of Dover and...
753 Reviews
from US$114.30*
US$127.00
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral...
112 Reviews
from US$123.00*
Special Offer
Early Access Leeds Castle, Canterbury...
362 Reviews
from US$119.10*
US$132.40
9 replies to this topic
Dover, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way Dover to London

There are luggage racks on the high speed and overhead storage for your backpack. I'd suggest a taxi to the station as it's a good mile or so from the cruise terminal. Although, I have seen people walking with their wheelie cases.

Edited: 20 May 2018, 07:28
London
Level Contributor
11,760 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way Dover to London

So long as you can lift the cases yourselves, you'll be fine on the train.

Is St Pancras your final destination in London? There are trains to other London termini, which take a bit longer, but if they are nearer your final destination can be a better option (and a few pounds cheaper)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way Dover to London

Thank you for your reply... We are booked into a Hotel 1 mile from St Pancras Station. We hope to walk there, else a taxi... Should we buy tickets online where we seem to need a time? Or is it the same price at the Station? Thanks again..

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way Dover to London

Just noticed your reply Gary, thank you. Taxi sounds the way to go!

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way Dover to London

There's no need to buy rail tickets in advance. Tickets are sold at the station, and the price is standard. Payment can be made by cash, credit or debit card..

For details of the timetable, route and costs, please see www.southeasternrail.co.uk Or www.nationalrail.co.uk

The station at Dover is called Dover Priory.

For travel in and around London & info on how to buy & use an Oyster card, please see www.tfl.gov.uk

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
London
London
England, UK
Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way Dover to London

Depending on your date of travel, if you can commit to a particular time train then buying a ticket type called ‘Advance’ online may be significantly cheaper, they are released only so far ahead but for some upcoming dates I can see Advance fares of just £13.60 for a one-way journey.

If you’re not wanting to commit to a specific train, then go for an Off Peak ticket and it doesn’t matter if you buy online or on the day as these are currently £43.20 whenever purchased.

Your ticket should allow you to benefit from the various 2 for 1 offers in your arrival day at least (not sure if they would work for the rest of your stay).

Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way Dover to London

Thank you for info. 😀

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way Dover to London

I seem to remember that, in addition to overhead racks on the train to St Pancras, you can also put a suitcase behind the row of seats (if it fits). Am I correct?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,416 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way Dover to London

Yes there are spaces between seat backs on some parts of the trains.

Reply to: Best way Dover to London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted