We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dover to liverpool

merseyside
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
dover to liverpool

Hi

We get of a cruise in dover and need to travel back to liverpool that day (sat). Any help/ideas on easiest and cheapest way to do this?

Thanks

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dover to liverpool

Not an easy journey.

Train from Dover Priory to London (Charing Cross or Victoria) it doesn't matter which station you arrive in.

Underground to Euston

Train to Liverpool Lime Street.

Take about 6 hours on a Saturday

Some trains involve a change at Wolverhampton.

Which Saturday, as there are engineering works in May which push you to travel out of London from Marylebone and change at Birmingham. That takes nearer 7 hours.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
158 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dover to liverpool

train is the easiest and by far the quickest route as the prev. poster said. I would recommend getting the train from Dover to London Charing Cross (journey time ~ 1.5hrs), then the Underground northern line direct to Euston (about 15mins in total on tube system).

From there you should be able to get a Virgin Trains service to Liverpool. Sometimes as previously said, there will be a Virgin train to Wolverhampton, where you will change onto a London Midland Trains service to Liverpool Lime Street. this change will only add on an extra 15mins comparable to a direct service from London so don't panic. (Journey time about 3hrs 15mins).

Direct services with Virgin leave Euston once an hour.

It is probably cheapest to buy your tickets for the London-Liverpool leg in advance. The Dover-London leg is a walkup fare, so you can buy that when you get to Dover, or in combination with your liverpool ticket.

for more detailed info check out www.virgintrains.co.uk or www.nationalrail.co.uk

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dover to liverpool

You can if you are lucky buy a through advance purchase ticket that will be much cheaper than separate ones so check this option out as well. It will include the underground (£4 a head bought separately).

Allow plenty of time to disembark from the cruise - the company should be able to give advice on this.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dover to liverpool

I looked at the train prices...£163 for 2? wow and with all the hassles.

Check with your local private hire taxi firms for prices...You should be able to get them to do it for around £260 if you pre pay. with no hassles.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
158 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dover to liverpool

163 does seem excessive, although we don't know when br0wns is planning on travelling. If they want to travel say in may/june/july then they should be able to get it much cheaper than that (much less than half that i would have said).

I would be looking at paying about no more than about £50 in advance (less with a railcard).

If you want to travel next saturday though (26th) then i'm afraid fares won't be good!

By road from Dover to Liverpool with no hassle? I'm not sure a hasslefree car journey exists when you take the M25 and other motorways into consideration! although being a saturday you could well be lucky. Even so you'd be looking at about the same length of time as the train if not considerably more.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: dover to liverpool

Well when I looked this morning there was a £17.50 (each) single Dover through to Liverpool available for this coming Saturday on at least one departure.

The £163-odd for 2 is a walk on fare.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,898 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dover to liverpool

A few comments if I may!

The Saver one-way fare Dover to Liverpool is €81.50 hence £163 for two. This is not a walk on fare, advanced reservation only. The walk on fare is a mind-boggling £145 EACH! I found seven different advanced reservation fares altogether, each with strings attached of course.

Unfortunately, train fares in the UK are not at all easy to figure out as the the services are operated by a myriad of different companies each offering a myriad of different fares. The earlier you reserve in advance the cheaper the fare becomes - the national rail website gives one-way fares Dover - Liverpool as cheap as £17.50 (rather better than £81.50 and a lot better than £145) but you need a sharp mind to ensure that the many conditions attached to that fare are applicable to your journey. Otherwise you will have an interesting conversation with a train conductor en route.

Assuming the cruise ship docks in the morning, you could gamble on a train from Dover mid-morning/ mid-day or maybe a little earlier and then an early afternoon train from London to Liverpool. Overall this will take, as said above, around 7 hours including the cross London interchange by Underground.

In the same way that many people make low-cost airline bookings 'just in case' the worst that can happen is you lose a small amount of money!

Good luck!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: dover to liverpool

<The Saver one-way fare Dover to Liverpool is £81.50 hence £163 for two. This is not a walk on fare, advanced reservation only.>

That is not true.

Saver fares are walk on fares valid on off peak trains. On Saturdays (when OP is travelling) all trains are off peak.

merseyside
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dover to liverpool

Thanks for all your replies which we studied with interest.

We have now decided to hire a car from dover cruise terminal which we can drive home and leave at a depot near home.

This has cost £80 plus petrol, but a least once in the car we can get ging and dont have to worry about missing trains etc!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,898 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dover to liverpool

dzug - thanks and duly noted - got that one wrong but is it any surprise!