We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best local food in Dover?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Topic
Best local food in Dover?

Well, still planning my day in Dover and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good (relatively) moderate or inexpensive place for a nice local lunch? Something laid back and comfortable as I will be traveling on my own.

Saw the posts about spending the day at the castle and tunnels and that looked interesting, (are they located together and would a taxi ride from the cruise terminal cover all?) perhaps followed by a little time in town before heading back to the cruise ship ...

Have 12 hours total.

Thanks for your advice!

Jeana

Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best local food in Dover?

To be honest 12 hours is a long time to spend in Dover. As others have said, the castle (which includes the wartime tunnels) is very interesting - you need maybe 3-4 hours maximum there. It is a lot of walking and, being on top of the cliff, you are mostly outdoors. There are a couple of other museums in town, maybe an hour and a half total. The shopping centre is dire, apart from the discount place on the harbour (de Bradelei Wharf), and probably as an American you would still find it expensive.

I would really recommend visiting Canterbury, there are lots of great places to eat there too. For really local fare you can go to the cafe at the farmers market in the Goods Shed at Canterbury West station.

Alternatively you could visit Walmer Castle-which has lovely gardens as well as an intersting interior - Deal Castle and town and then on to Sandwich, which is one of the best preserved medieval towns in England. Lots of good places to eat too, I can give you some suggestions if you are interested. You can reach all these places by train or local bus - see Stagecoach bus website.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
158 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best local food in Dover?

Avoid the town centre of dover. There is nothing there. The only attraction dover has is the Castle which is impressive.

As pp said, canterbury is a good idea for both sightseeing (mainly the cathedral), shopping and cuisine. Loads of local pubs and restaurants there. Train from Dover Priory to Canterbury East (about 10mins walk to city centre) will take in the region of 20mins, and cost about £4-£5 return (about $10). In 12 hours you could quite easily do both the Castle and Canterbury if you wanted to.

Sandwich, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best local food in Dover?

I have just heard about a new restaurant in Dover High Street called The Allotment, which serves only local food. Reviews have been very positive.

Kent
Level Contributor
154 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best local food in Dover?

I live in Dover.

I would second the recommendation of The Allotment in Dover High Street opposite the Town Hall.

Very laid back with good fresh local food, nice wines by the glass and great cappucinos!

The staff are very friendly and there is also a nice little courtyard at the back for al fresco dining should the weather be good.

I think it would be perfect for you on your own.

After visiting the Castle in the morning (after taking a taxi from the Cruise Terminal) you could easily walk down into the town for lunch.

Then I would suggest you just spend some time sitting on the seafront and/or walking along the seafront promenade, which is lovely.

I hope you have a great day!

Sue

California
Level Contributor
96 posts
691 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best local food in Dover?

Could you really walk down to town? I was looking at the birdseyes views and that looked pretty far. Where is the center of town in Dover? We have to decide if we want to stay in a B&B on Folkstone or the Premium Inn Central. Which of these is nearer to town?

London
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best local food in Dover?

I second the recommendation for The Allotment. I had lunch there this Saturday and it was great. It is an informal, laid back place with wonderfully cooked, local food.

http://www.theallotmentdover.co.uk/

7. Re: Best local food in Dover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 23:18