We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
12 posts
Save Topic
How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

Hello.

I will be arrive in Dover via Cruise ship on April 28th, 2009 and I would like to spend a few days in London after.

I looked into taking the train to London, but found that a bit expensive.

Does anyone know how and where I would have to go to catch the coach (bus) from Dover Priory to London?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

The coach doesn't go from Dover Priory - it goes from either the town centre or the ferry port, the latter being a short taxi ride from the cruise port

www.doverport.co.uk/…

www.nationalexpress.co.uk (click on view to see the route)

www.nationalrail.co.uk

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

The main bus/coach station is in the town centre at Pencester Road but, as the previous poster has said, some runs also stop at the docks.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

Are you sure that the train is too expensive? I don't know waht the bus costs, but if you avoid peak times and book in advance it can be as little as 30 GBP return (yes, I know that's also expensive, but UK trains are crazy). Try alternative times on http://www.thetrainline.com

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

April 28th being a Tuesday (ie a normal working day) if you do travel outside rush hour (Dover has many commuters travelling to London) you can go for £28.40 including a one-day London Travelcard for use on Underground (subways) and buses when you get there.

Yes it is expensive, but remember that trains in the UK are operated for profit by private companies and not as a public service.

(I travelled that route and others for over 30 years.)

Train journey 1hr 33 minutes, coach journey 2hr 45 minutes. Coach fares approx £13.20 plus what you need to spend on fares on arrival.

Time vs Money?

Dover
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

Are you trvelling back to Dover afterwards ?

Looking at the national rail site it looks like you can get a return for under £30 at off peak times.I think these are after about 0930 weekdays.

Personally I would take this option even if it means paying a bit more. The bus journey is very tedious and a long time for the distance involved.The train takes you right into Central London next to Trafalgar Square and good walking distance for Covent Garden , Leicester Square the London Eye and many decent pubs if thats what you like.

Are you by any chance travelling in a group of four ?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

BTW - you DON'T need to book in advance on this route - the fares are the same if you buy on the day

7. Re: How do you catch the coach from Dover Priory to London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 07:27