We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Does anyone know where to book online for a ferry from Dover to Calais, travelling in early June. The only ones i can get through to either aren't available online yet or only take car passengers, not foot travellers. The latter is very frustrating.

I wondered about Dover to Belgium too, but they appear to have stopped.

Also, we will be going by train up to Belgium. There appear to be 2 train stations in Calais. Which is the closest to the ferry terminal

Any advice appreciated.

Glenda

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
856 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

We took the P & O ferry from Calais to Dover as foot passengers in June, 2008. I assume this ferry is still available in either direction. Also, you might e-mail the ferry company with your train station question They did respond to e-mail questions I sent before we traveled.

Edited: 06 March 2010, 06:10
Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Calais Ville is closer to the ferries, though you'll often need a taxi unless there's still a bus running.

But to get to Belgium you really need to get to Lille, and high-speed trains to Lille use Calais Frethun (for which you HAVEto get a taxi from the ferry), which has no real connection with Calais Ville. Use the SNCF site (though sometimes die Bahn is easier to use) to work out the best way to get to your Belgian connection

Which said: from Kent the quickest and cheapest way to Belgium is almost certainly a train direct from Ashford, or maybe even a high speed train to St Pancras connecting with a high speed train to Brussels

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Is there a reason you arent just going by Eurostar, which will be much less hassle, far fewer changes and likely a similar price?

Edit: Which is what I see Flanner above is recommending though he didn't name it. No need to go back into St Pancras in London though AFAIK all the trains from there will stop either at Ashford or Ebbsfleet.

Edited: 06 March 2010, 08:57
New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Thanks for explaining about the trains.

You - and the following person seem to be recommending the Fast train option direct from England. There are 2 main reasons why I was thinking of the ferry to Calais option - one is I like the thought of crossing by ferry, 'white cliffs of Dover' and all that, rather than being buried underground for that part. Secondly I keep hearing that the chunnel trains are expensive. The plan would be to catch a ferry across the channel then catch a fast train up to Brussels via Lille. - But it's a bit difficult to judge since I haven't been able to discover what the ferry fare would be.

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

"The only ones i can get through to either aren't available online yet "

They most certainly are. P&O goes up to the end of 2011

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

P&O still take foot passengers but SeaFrance do not. Have you actually looked at P&O's website yet? I was able to get a quote from P&O for a foot passenger journey in June.

http://www.poferries.com/

Norfokline sails to Dunkirk but this will not be handy for an onward train journey to Belgium and anyway do not allow foot passengers.

Ferries to Belgium now go from Ramsgate by LD Lines but again no foot passengers.

Edited: 06 March 2010, 11:00
Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Have a look www.seat61.com on the section about travelling to Europe from London there is s ection on train + ferry this explains getting from London to Calais and the relevant costs. It also gives some ideas of some of the possible problems of moving onward from Calais.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Very helpful thank you giving me the P & O website. Other tries were through booking companies. I have managed to get quotes now.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

Thanks. A great site to peruse for other things. However, we are driving to Dover via SW England by rental car, not leaving for Dover from London.

It will come in handy for future refernce.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dover to Calais or Dunkirk ferries

> we are driving to Dover via SW England <

From Ireland?