We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

We will be arriving by cruise ship into Dover early in the morning one day in July and would like to embark a cruise ship that same afternoon in Southampton. What would be the most inexpensive way to make the transfer.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

Probably by train. Buy a through ticket from Dover to So'ton without the high speed option and take a Charing Cross Train. Get off at Waterloo East, cross the bridge to Waterloo main station and catch the next fast train to Southampton.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,955 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

For details of timetables,fares and connections, suggest you go to www.nationalrail.co.uk. ( tel no in Uk is 08457 48 49 50). Do try the website first.

You may also want to check on the website for any scheduled engineering works for the period of your journey. They arw advertised about 6 weeks in advance.

You will be travelling from Dover Priory to London on south eastern rail, and from London to Southampton Central on south west trains, but should be able to get a through ticket for the whole journey.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
295 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

When searching on the National Rail website, you may want to look at this journey as two stages:

Dover to London Waterloo East

London Waterloo to Southampton

Doing a search on Dover to Southampton provides all kind of weird and wonderful routings!

The connection from Waterloo East to Waterloo is an easy walk via a covered pedestrian bridge and is very straightforward to navigate.

The through fare is £58.10 and I couldn't see any special offers on this route, but you may want to look at www.southeasternrailway.co.uk and www.southwesttrains.co.uk to see if there is any way you could get the fare down by booking it as two stages.

Best to grab a coffee at Waterloo and wait for one of the fast trains to Southampton. You may even have time for a bit of sightseeing in London, as Waterloo is close to some of the main sights.

Edited: 10 April 2011, 11:34
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

Although you say 'inexpensive' bear in mind that that it's going to take you nearly 5 hours by rail taking into account getting to and from the station. A car service will be a lirttle over 2.5 hours.

Depending how much leeway there is in your schedule you might be forced into this anyway

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

I'd agree - taking the train may be the "cheap" option but it may not be the sensible option, so looking for a car service option might be a better choice.

As for trains - if you do have lots of time to make the connection I'd avoid London and go from Dover to Redhill via Tonbridge then from there to Southampton

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

There are three or four daily journeys possible by coach (express bus) from Dover to Southampton for about £26. The journey takes typically 6 hours.

The trains on both segments of the route via London run at least every 30 minutes, seven days a week. You can save money sometime with an advance ticket purchase but if you miss the train(s)you have reserved for , your money is lost.

I think the most efficient and economical train route is Dover - Ashford - Brighton - Southampton. This does require two changes of train en route but the average journey time is 4 hours 35 minutes on weekdays and the normal one way fare is good value at €18.80. Trains run once an hour between Ashford and Brighton, which determines the frequency for that option.

Add a few £ for short taxi rides at each end.

A car transfer would take 3 hours on a good day, anything up to twice that long on a bad day.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

I want to do the reverse. Southampton cruise terminal to Dover cruise terminal on a Saturday. Is it best to use a car service?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

Same logic applies as for the original direction. Given the cost of cruises and ancillary costs it would be a false economy to skimp on getting between the two. But how long do you have to make the trip bearing in mind you may not get off ship & through UK immigration / customs quickly and you may have to be on board several hours before sailing at the other end. It's 3 hours between the ports by car.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

The ship arrives in Southampton at 5:00 AM and the departure of the ship in Dover is 5:00PM so I think if we hire a car service we should be able to do it with time to spare. Am I on the right track with my thinking?

We are seniors and going through London to get to Dover with our luggage is just not an option. I even checked National Express and they didn't show anything between the the cruise terminals.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,511 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dover Cruise Terminal to Southampton Cruise Terminal

Presumably you would not be getting off the ship in Southampton at 5am but provided you are able to book a car service for let's say around 9 or 10am, you ought to be in Dover at lunchtime.

Such a car would cost I recall from previous similar questions around £250 = $400.

The train option leaves Southampton Central (weekdays and Saturdays) at 33 minutes after each hour, takes 4 hours 28 minutes with a change of train needed at Brighton (no steps to deal with) and at Ashford where are there are steps and elevators down to the tunnel under the tracks. Ticket price £18.10 each. The trains do not go via London, but do make lots of stops. Nice scenery for the most part though.

And as before add a few £ for a taxi at each end.