We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

Our travel with the Leased car (Peugeot 307) is:

* Lyon to London on 29 Jul 11 (2 pax)

* Farnham to Utrecht on Sat 4 Sep 11 (1 pax)

I spend a few days in Holland and drop the car back at Calais on Thu 8 Sep 11 and need to get to Dudley (Birmingham) by ferry & train (1 pax) by Fri 9 Sep11 in the pm, possibly stopping somewhere along the route overnight.

I then return from Dudley to Ash (Farnham) by train on Mon 12 Sep 11 am.

My query is: What's the best (and cheapest?) way of doing it?

* Should we go via Calais with the car or would we better going via Zeebrugge, Ostende or somewhere else?

* What tickets should I book and when can I book them?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

Book the ferry in advance for the best rates. Calais is by far the quickest with frequent services - look up Seafrance, poferries and eurotunnel (for the tunnel).

Best way from Calais to Dudley would be to catch one of the occasional Eurostar trains that stop at Calais (Frethun) to St Pancras and then just walk to Euston and go by train from there. You should be able to book a through ticket from Eurostar.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

Does the insurance with your leased car allow you to take it to the UK?

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,745 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

I agree about booking in advance, it's definetely cheaper, I managed 2 months in advance and got a cheap deal and looked later on, and it was more expensive, so definetely paid to do so.

I agree with checking in insurance with the hire firm.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,501 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

With the car, Norfolkline (now DFDS) Dover to Dunkerque is often cheaper than Dover-Calais and with pleasant ferries, though it does take slightly longer. This line, like a number of others, does not take foot passengers.

5. Re: Crossing the Channel by car & foot.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 01:18