We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dover to Paris?

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aruba
Level Contributor
26 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Dover to Paris?

We will be arriving in Dover and then going on to Paris. What ferry should we take and should we take at rain from Calais or rent a car?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,393 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dover to Paris?

http://www.seat61.com/London-Paris-ferry.htm

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,087 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dover to Paris?

Don't rent a car to go from Dover to Paris - especially if it is only going to be a one way hire. Just don't. Trust us.

You can travel with P&O Ferries from Dover Eastern Docks as foot passengers to Calais. There is a shuttle bus from Calais Ferry Terminal to Calais-Ville station from where you can catch a train to Paris.

Alternatively, you can make your way from Dover to Ashford International (there are trains from Dover Priory Station, or you could take a taxi) and join a Eurostar train to Paris there. Bookings open 120 days ahead of travel and the earlier you can book, the better chance you have of grabbing a bargain.

www.eurostar.com

Finally, you can board a Eurolines coach at Dover Eastern Docks for Paris.

www.eurolines.co.uk

London
Level Contributor
9,134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dover to Paris?

Getting from Dover to Paris can be more compicated than you would expect.

If you want to go by ferry, only P&O accept foot passengers, and only in daylight hours. The ferry port in Calais is about 1km from the town railway station. There are few direct trains from Calais to Paris, you usually have to change at Lille (and you may have to change from Lille Flanders to Lille Europe stations). I did this route (during the Icelandic ash cloud episode when there were no flights) - I can only decribe the foot passenger experience as slow - lots of faffing in both Dover and Calais - great if you're not in a hurry but if you want to get to Paris quickly this is not the way to do it.

Europcar and Hertz have a desk at Calais port - but unless you need a hire car for other reasons I would not drive to Paris.

It may be simpler to head inland into Kent - to Ashford or Ebbsleet - and connect to a Eurostar service there. Note that although Ashford is much nearer, there are very few eurostar services that stop there - far more options from Ebbsleet.

new york
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dover to Paris?

hi, wondering what's the best way? i checked the time table, ashford only have 4:55pm train which seems make sense , the 10am train is too tight thinking about embarkatino will take some time.

so what to do for the waiting time in dover/ashford...

Aruba
Level Contributor
26 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dover to Paris?

I think we are going to P and O ferry to Calais and take a train to Paris from there. What do you think? Will we have trouble with our luggage? Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dover to Paris?

The ferry crossing is all right if one has plenty of time, but the foot passenger experience is slow in both Dover and Calais. Trains from Dover Priory station to Ebbsfleet take just 47 minutes; Eurostar from Ebbsfleet to Paris Gare du Nord takes about two hours.

The ferry crossing itself takes 90 minutes, plus time for boarding, disembarkation, travel to and from the ship and rail station in Calais - more faff.

www.eurostar.com for trains from Ashford. wirewiper's suggestion of Eurolines coach is one to consider as well; the terminus in Paris is near Gallieni, on line 3 of the Metro.

Pekanbaru
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dover to Paris?

I am travelling with one small dog from Charles De Gaulle to Surrey by foot - I cannot believe the Eurostar still don't allow dogs - is this the case, it seems such a hard journey because of my little dog - I can't find any travel by foot. Any hints??

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,397 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dover to Paris?

Eurolines coaches do not allow transport of pets, so coach travel is out. easyJet from CDG to Gatwick do not allow transport of pets, so that's not an option. If you must travel with your dog then you will have to fly with BA to Heathrow as P&O do not allow foot passengers to travel with pets.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,721 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dover to Paris?

You can take dogs on the Stena Line Ferry from Hoek Van Holland - using the Dutch Flyer train service is the easiest way to do this.

You can travel on LD lines ferries, a s foot passenger, but dog must be in cage, and this is not available on all of their routes, so you need to double check.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,857 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dover to Paris?

The bringing of dogs into the United Kingdom is very strictly controlled. It is easier for the transport companies not to allow dogs at all.

You will need to check the regulations carefully even before you can find a means.

Edited: 14 May 2014, 18:07