We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver
Level Contributor
13 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to get around in Dover. We want to try and tour the tunnels under the Castle and also walk up/around the cliffs. Can we do this easily enough off the train from London? Do we need to purchase transportation within Dover?

Is it realistic that we can see Dover in one day?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,469 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

Dover is small, walking is good - but there is some 'vertical' involved!

Probably there are buses if you don't like 'shanks'

Probably there are Taxis

I have always 'done' the top of the cliffs by foot, including the old 'bric-sett' memorial where Bleriot landed!

Edited: 05 August 2012, 00:54
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

As EssexWanderer has said , Dover is small, really small!

As you come out of Dover Priory railway station it is all downhill to the town centre, but it is a bit of a climb to get back up to Dover Castle. However, there are taxi's right outside the railway station, and also from outside the Dover Museum, which is in the town centre.

It takes about 10 minutes to walk from the railway station to the town centre.

You won't need a taxi to do the cliff walks but shoes with a good grip are recommended, as the grass can be a bit slippy.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

Yes, you can do Dover in one day.

To avoid walking, you might find it simpler just to get a taxi for the short distances involved, but should you wish to use the local buses, click Dover on the following link to see the route map:

stagecoachbus.com/routemaps-east-kent.aspx

The bus station is in the town centre. The #15 (not 15A) towards Deal goes past Dover Castle.

UK streets that are accessible to cars are on Google Streetview which will give you some idea of the route if you are walking (but won't cover the pedestrianised town centre).

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

I am planning on doing the same and had the same questions. I found this site and am thinking of using them once I'm in Dover. Use the Rover to get up to the Castle and then take it back down to the boat and back to main station I think to get back to train..... anyone use this? or know if it's good?

www.doverwhiteclifftours.com/70222/info.php…

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

Sushi

£8.00 per person for a 1 hour bus trip, may not be particularly good value, especially if there is more than 1 person in your party. The web link for the local buses that BayBOy has provided, may be much better value.

Dover Museum is in the town centre and less than a 10 minute walk from the railway station... and it's downhill from the station to the town. If you take a local bus up to the Castle, it would be much cheaper, and you could stay at the Castle for as long as you wanted.

A taxi back from the town/castle to the railway station would be less than £8.00. Taxi's can take 3-4 people.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

I would not only use it for the Castle but also for the boat, so I need transportation with that too and there is a schedule that you can get off the bus at the castle and get back on a later one. So I would then be taking more than one taxi or a couple of bus rides which should then come around the same or higher. I am only one person.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

Sushi

If the combined boat and bus ticket suit your plans, then go for it. Just didn't want you to pay over the odd's. I hope you have a great day!

8. Re: Day trip from London to Dover - how to get around in Dover?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 09:16