We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dover to Sandwich

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dover to Sandwich

What is the taxi fare from Dover to Sandwich? What the best way to travel from Dover to Sandwich. We have only 6 hours on a Sunday (May 19, 2013) Has anyone else tried to do this?

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dover to Sandwich

I would recommend the train. it takes half an hour on the train from Dover Priory to Sandwich and would cost under £15 for 2 adults. Both train stations are in the town centres.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dover to Sandwich

Trains on a Sunday are one per hour; you can view the current timetable at:

southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/…

A new timetable will be in effect from 9 Dec 2012 and normally changes again in mid-May so check nearer the time.

On a Sunday, there is a chance that there will be engineering works on the line which may involve a replacement bus service slightly lengthening the journey. Information is normally released about a month in advance and published at:

southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/…

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dover to Sandwich

Thank you so much! I was looking at the wrong railroad. The only train that goes from Dover to Sandwich is the express, but it only takes 23 minutes. Unfortunately, since the 19th is a Sunday the schedule is terrible. First train that comes to Dover is at 10:05 AM. But at least there is one.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dover to Sandwich

You might find it easier to use the National Rail Enquiries website:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Currently the first train leaving Dover Priory station on a Sunday towards Sandwich is at 9:02 arriving in Sandwich at 09:25, and then one per hour.

You are correct with the duration being 23 mins.

(The High Speed timetable does show the schedule between Dover and Sandwich, but the trains do not run at high speed on this part of the track.)

There are also 2 for 1 attraction offers available at http://www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/

Unfortunately the current offer for the Secret Gardens of Sandwich (ending 31 Dec) excluded visits May-Aug. Likely the same offers will be repeated for 2013 but worth checking then to see if there's any change to the terms

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dover to Sandwich

I love to travel by train, but am surprised at how much a simple ride from Dover to Sandwich and return would cost for two people. Assuming that the figures that I got from the the ticket pricing that for a distance of approximately 7 miles would cost us 49.60 LB or at the current rate is $78.86. I have found this ridiculous price on three fee calculating sites. At first I thought that this must be the fare coming from London, but no it is the price for Sunday travel from Dover to Sandwich.

That being said perhaps a taxi wold cost less to travel these same 7 miles. Does anyone have any information about taxi fares?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dover to Sandwich

You must be doing something really seriously wrong then - what it is I haven't a clue. What sites are you using?

An off peak day return is £6.30 a head - around $9 each

Herndon, Virginia
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dover to Sandwich

Hi! Where did you get these figures? I found that all the official sites gave me the figures that I mentioned that truly shocked me.

I wrote to the Tourist Office in Sandwich and asked how much a taxi between Dover and Sandwich would cost. She researched it for me and found that Dover Heritage Taxis would charge us 20 LB each way for a group of 4 people. The taxi will meet us on the dock and take us precisely where we want to be let off in Sandwich. At 10 LB per person round trip, this just seems the best way to go. No worries about missing the train and being stuck until the next one comes which is obviously more critical on the return trip as the ship departs promptly by 3:00 PM with us or without us and all passengers must be aboard no later than 2:30.

But please tell me what web site you found the train fares that you mentioned in case we need to take a train after all.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,532 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dover to Sandwich

There are 2 websites you can use. The national rail one covers the whole country. The site is at www.nationalrail.co.uk

The train company for Kent is called South Eastern Rail. Their web site is at

www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

An "off peak" standard return fare is £6.30.. as dzug has already stated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dover to Sandwich

I cannot find any website that give the figures you quote - they are definitely not 'official' sites. Maybe you've been looking at the agencies that exist to rip off gullible overseas tourists by charging them over the odds for the fare and a huge handling charge on top. And for reservations that don't exist.

I've tried half a dozen UK rail company sites and they all give £6.30 a head - Geat Western, Chiltern, South Eastern, South Western, East Coast. Plus thetrainline and redspottedhanky. All identical fares - as i would expect

A taxi may be wisest in your situation but at least base the decision on the facts and not some fairy story about fares. If you did go by train you'd just buy the ticket on the day. It's a commuter line - you don't book or reserve for it

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dover to Sandwich

I think you've taken the single fare (£6.20 per person, per direction) giving a total of £24.80 and then have inadvertently doubled that figure to arrive at £49.60. Although the website shows a panel for the outward and for the return journey with various options in both, you do not need to pick an option from both panels. However, if you select the £12.60 return ticket option from the outward journey panel all options in the return journey panel will cease to be available.

I hope that makes sense!