We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

Wiarton, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

I am having a problem finding affordable transportation from Dover port to Portsmouth port. Is there no bus or shuttle service under 200 euro? There are no time constraints. We don't get off our ship in Dover until 4;30 PM so after that would work.

If we can get a shuttle from Dover to a London airport, is there a direct route to Portsmouth by train?

thank you

Likely To Sell Out
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral...
724 Reviews
from US$129.40*
Kent, Canterbury, Dover, and...
91 Reviews
from US$132.30*
Special Offer
Canterbury, Greenwich, Leeds Castle...
353 Reviews
from US$122.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Day-Trip to Canterbury and Dover from...
Level Contributor
29,502 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

Here is a previous thread on the subject

It is not an easy journey,

Try the National Rail journey Planner as suggested in that thread

Or have a look for bus(coach) travel options here, but you probably willl also travel via London....

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

" Is there no bus or shuttle service under 200 euro? "

The euro is not the currency of the UK.

Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

Although the Euro is not currency of the UK, you can use credit or debit cards for buying train tickets.

Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

Hello! I have just been looking at train times and prices, and have found plenty at less than 200 euros Price depends on what time train and where you change. For mid May, the cheapest I found (with three changes avoiding London) was £19.80, leaving Dover 18.45 arr Portsmouth 22.59. Train via London departs 18.30 arrive 22.39 costs £62 . These are off peak day singles, so you would pay the same price whether you buy in advance or on the day.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,830 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

It's 140 miles (225km) and 2h30m if you drive. Probably why you can't find anything under €200. Unless you are travelling at weekends it probably also means travelling in peak traffic time increasing the cost.

As for other options - here's how you'd do it by train. Unfortunately there aren't any cheap fares on this route UNLESS you do Dover to Waterloo East as one train ticket then use Megatrain for the Waterloo to Portsmouth leg - the latter ticket has to be bought on their website and it's train specific

Personally if you don't have any time constraints I'd do yourself a favour and stop in London overnight

Wiarton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

On inquiring about transport from Dover to Portsmouth, I meant to state lbs. not euros.

Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

lbs is pounds weight, not money

you just can't win.......

8. Re: Travelling from Dover to Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 06:17