We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

I am due to collect 3 friends in my car when they disembark from Carnival Legend cruise ship at Western Docks at 9.30am on Wednesday 3rd July. I am having difficulty finding any accurate advice about where to drive to. At an airport I follow signs to "arrivals" and there is a choice of instant pick-up or a short term car park.

Does the Western Docks have a short term parking arrangement so I can go and wait for them to emerge from customs?

If not, is it possible for me to arrange for them to call my mobile to say they are out, and for me to follow the taxis in and simply pick them up without leaving my car?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

UPDATE: It was very easy to pick up passengers by car.

I drove on the Motorway past Maidstone services and stopped at Folkestone Services (the last services before the motorway ends) which is about 15/20 minutes away from Western Docks. I made contact with the passengers by mobile phone to confirm they were waiting for me, and followed the "CRUISE SHIPS" signs to Western Docks. The "CRUISE SHIPS" road signs are very clear.

At the entrance you do not have to stop, even though there are men in yellow jackets - keep driving until you come to the first ship or the second ship - you can read the names on the ships as you drive past.

Mine was the second ship and at the end of the road a man in a yellow jacket asked me if I was there to collect passengers, then allowed me to park outside the terminal doors. My passengers saw me arrive.

Loads of free parking spaces nearby anyway, even if my passengers had not been ready.

I hope this helps anyone who, like me, could find no information on this subject.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

Or you could just park up on the Seafront which is a 4 minute walk from the entrance to the Western Docks. Not a problem there.

Same with the Eastern Docks. Parking outside the travel centre, if not, park along the seafront, a 5 minute walk away and also has toilets there.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,858 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

Thanks RichardandCar0l for this update, cruise-related questions are common on the Dover forum but feedback from personal experience is rarely given so I'm sure it will be very useful to others in the future.

As you said, there's not much online; I think the information on the Port of Dover's website http://www.doverport.co.uk/ is rather patchy, I couldn't find any advice about pick-up points either.

4. Re: Picking up passengers by car at Western Docks, Dover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:16