We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

We are arriving by Carnival Cruise (Legend) at Dover on December 25. Need to catch the 11.00 a.m. flight. We plan to take a taxi to the Gatwick Airport. Any suggestion of reliable taxi company to book ahead, or do we simply line up at the cruise terminal, hoping to get a taxi to get us to Gatwick in time.

We did consider using the train, but are concerned we won't get there on time.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

"The cruise ship charges U.S. $85 per person and we wonder if it would be cheaper by taxi. "

Wow, really? You're probably right, quick google search gives quotes around £110-120 so you're probably correct on that.

I'm not local and haven't done it myself, so I can't recomend one company over another. You should ask the same question on the Cruise Critic forums as well as here as you have a greater chance of finding people there who have done the journey and may also find people on the same cruise as you who may wish to share transportation.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

ah, so its September the 25th and a 2pm flight, panic over!!

$85 x 2 = $170, round about £110, I would go with the ship's shuttle for convenience.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

If you want to do the the journey by train the cost would be £19.90 per head plus a few pounds for taxi to Dover Priory station.

Journey time is 2h 10m with changes at Tonbridge and Redhill, the 7:58 would be best but 8:58 would arrive only slightly after 11:00

http://tickets.southernrailway.com

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,881 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

Pleasant train ride through nice countryside (mostly) as well. The change of train at Tonbridge is on the same platform, at Redhill there is a tunnel under the tracks with elevators at both ends.

You can wave at my former home town in Tonbridge.

The Gatwick Airport station is at the South Terminal.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

Thank you for all your quick responses. Much appreciated.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

How easy is it to simply buy tickets at the station using either cash or credit card?

Edited: 04 August 2013, 20:19
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

I'm not familiar with Dover station but most stations have both manned ticket windows and a number of automated ticket machines that accept both cash and credit cards (not sure whether they accept cards without UK chip and pin)

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
13,920 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

There is a ticket office and also ticket machines at Dover Priory railway station.

I'd go for the train option.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,041 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

For details of train timetables and ticket costs, please see www.southeasternrailway.co.uk or, www.nationallrail.co.uk

You can pay for tickets at Dover Priory station using either a credit or debit card. Dover Priory has a staffed ticket office just inside the booking hall, but also has ticket machines too.

If you google taxi services in Dover, you will find a list of taxi firms. They usually have a fixed price for airport runs, depending in the number of passengers and the amount of luggage.

20. Re: Dover to Gatwick by Taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 20:35