We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

We will be disembarking from the Ocean Princess on August 3 in Dover. Since our flight is at 12:35 pm that day, we are concerned that the motor coach is going to take 3 hours to get us to Heathrow. Does anyone have experience with optional transportation (reasonably priced) to get us there for the 3 hour advance required to check in? Is private cab the only option? Train looked "iffy".

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,589 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

Depending on the time of day your ship docks and you can reasonably expect to disembark, taking the fast train to London St Pancras then booked car service from there may be a reasonable choice.

The train from Dover Priory at 0745 arrives at St Pancras at 0851; a car from the Renaissance St Pancras hotel to Heathrow terminals shouldn't take more than 45 minutes on a Sunday morning, but that will vary depending on the terminal building from which you depart.

Should you have to wait for the train from Dover Priory at 0845 you will reach St Pancras at 0951 and will have to be quite speedy making your way either to the taxi rank for a black cab to the airport or ensure you will have booked a car with a reliable company who will be waiting for you at the Renaissance Hotel.

How many will be travelling from Dover to LHR, and at what time do you think you will be able to disembark the ship? WIth what airline have you booked to fly from LHR?

London
Level Contributor
9,290 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

As TP says, time of disembarkation is key. Looking at the cruise forums, it seems that - in general - no one is off before 0700. As you need a taxi transfer to the station, I suspect you'll struggle to get that 0745 train.

A pre booked car all the way seems lowest risk, but a later flight would be a much lower stress option.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,168 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

For information on routes, times and rail fares, please see www.nationalrail.co.uk

You don't need to advance book rail tickets and can pay at Dover Priory with a credit or debit card.

For information about public transport within London, please see

www.tfl.gov.uk

Sometimes rail engineering works take place over the week end. It's best to check the rail timetable for any scheduled works about 4 weeks beforehand.

Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

There are 4 of us and we are flying on Delta which appears to be Terminal 4. It appears that from comment 2 we are looking at a 7am disembarkation at best. We already have our tickets and would hate to have to change them but this isn't looking too good. I appreciate all the information.

Surrey, BC, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

Not exactly sure where you are going to or from, but there are parameters to consider.

If you disembark from a cruise ship and want to go to Heathrow a cruise line transfer is one answer. Most cruise lines work at getting clientele to Heathrow on time for security etc. and most lines start disembarkation circa 6 am, so flights after 10 am are definitely possible, the bus trip,takes from 1.5 to two hours. The cruise line transfers from dover to,Heathrow are about 40 dollars per. (0n this i may be in error, because if I remember the st pancreas fast train ousts about he same.

From dover,or,ffolkstone there are,also,private,coaches at 38 ponds per,I think. They take,the round about route,to,the,airport,and drop passengers at the appropriate,terminal. Again count on two hrs travel. These buses leave at set hours, usually four,times,daily from dover priory.. The taxii tariff is 8 pounds from,dock,to the priory. Same amount for bus or train. If you are more than two adults,you may need to taxis. Cruise baggage can be a deal,breaker. Check out the internet for buses and schedules.

The third alternative especially,for,more than two,adults is,to,hire a private van or taxi. From folliestone cruise dock to Heathrow ( you go right to,your terminal. You pay 100 pounds,for,the,taxi, no matter how,many bodies crowd,into,it. These also takemthemround London route and estimate 1,5 to 2 hour trips, the lager vans are a little more pricey, but depending on how many share it the cost can be less per passenger than the taxi.

It makes sense to me to pay for a taxi and not take the Heathrow via London route and makes even more sense when there are two of us. The last time I went through London we were on route to Chester from Southampton. It was to chancy to do tube run hauling luggage etc., and hope to meet the departing Chester , train so as well as the cost of getting from Southampton, we also had London taxi fares and we barely made train at anyway.

You can really do a deep public transit thing and take the slow train from dover WTO Victoria, and at Victoria you tube it all the way to Heathrow for smallest cost, if that is your wont. We have packed bars on the tube and hung onto the straps in rush hour and used elevators and escalators. That is sort off an Olympic sport and adventure, we,have,long ago,decided,never more,to,participate in.

On our,last,trip,out,of,London,to,Heathrow, our hotel house suggested - hire an unlicensed taxi! He was right. Door,to door pick and delivery in a very short time, and,the,costs,for,the two,of,were,not,much more,expensive than taking a taxi and catching the Heathrow special,from paddington.

My airline by the way flys from terminal,three, as delta.

Rorscan

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,503 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

"...hire an unlicensed taxi! "

Possibly one of the most foolhardy things a traveller can do!

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

You can say that again! Never do that one!! I always make sure they are licensed by Hackney cabs.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

I suspect that post five doesn't actually mean 'unlicensed taxi' and is actually referring to a private hire minicab. Which are licensed and regulated.

Definitely never use an unlicensed taxi.

9. Re: Transportation for Dover to Heathrow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 04:15