We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving the ferry at Dover

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving the ferry at Dover

Cab anybody tell me how long it takes from Docking at Dover until a foot passenger is able to leave the ferry terminal, please.

London
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

You'll be walking off only a few minutes after the ferry has docked. However....., you only walk as far as a shuttle bus, which then drives you through the marshalling area to the admin offices at the entrance of the port. You're not permitted to walk from the ship directly out of the port.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

You normally have to wait for the shuttle bus to be full - so it depends on how quick your fellow foot passengers are at getting off.

But I'd have thought maybe 15 minutes tops

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

Many thanks. I want to pre-book a train ticket so I needed an idea of the length of time to book an appropriate train time.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,960 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

Train ticket to where?

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

Why do you need to pre book a train ticket? Dover Priory is a commuter train service, just turn up and pay at the station. There is no need to pre book. For information about train times and fares, please see

www.nationalrail.co.uk

or www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

For information about public transport within London, please see www.tfl.gov.uk

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

Ticket to Gloucester. Pre-booked seems to be cheaper than buying on the day.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,960 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

OK, in that case you also need to factor in time to get from the ferry terminal to the station. There is a bus that operates at 20-minute intervals, takes about 15 minutes and costs £2.00.

I think you should allow at least one hour and preferably two.

You can book a through Eurostar ticket from Paris, Lille or Calais-Fréthun to Gloucester. This is 'protected' so that if your Eurostar arrives into London late, you can get a later train to Gloucester for no extra charge.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

An advance ticket to Gloucester is a lot cheaper than paying on the day. I did Canterbury to Taunton a couple of years ago for £10, not a much different trip in terms of miles. Not bad considering the Underground fare across London on its own would have been £4.

I agree with wirewiper that you should allow an absolute minimum of one hour from docking time to train time.

You have the choice of either the high speed route from Dover to London St Pancras or the slower routes to either Charing Cross or Victoria. St Pancras is the most straightforward and obviously quickest, but you will pay more. For the journey to London it doesn't matter which train you take (provided you have paid the right fare high speed or not) but from London to Gloucester you will have a seat reserved on a specific train. Plan carefully.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

As far as I can make out there is no extra charged for high speed travel on advance fares from Dover to Gloucester - so just choose the quickest journey

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,537 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving the ferry at Dover

Through routes are normally cheaper on Advance fares if you're continuing your journey on an operator that normally offers them, such as FGW to Gloucester in this case - certainly this is what the National Rail Enquiries journey planner is suggesting.

Routes for travel wholly on Southeastern are not usually cheaper bought in advance, as Southeastern only has Offpeak and Anytime fares (not "Advance" fares), however sometimes Southeastern has a seasonal online discount promotion, as they do now - currently 25% off:

southeasternrailway.co.uk/news/…

dzug1 - I think you are right, when I travelled from Kent to Birmingham (Southeastern Highspeed to St Pancras then Virgin from Euston) the price was the same whether I took Southeastern Highspeed or not. This was an on the day purchase though.