We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White Cliffs walk from cruise port

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Delmar, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
White Cliffs walk from cruise port

We will be on a repositioning cruise in May, dock in Dover for one day. We are considering a walk along the cliffs (vs. train to see Canterbury Cathedral....difficult decision):

If we do the cliffs, how do we get to a trail from the cruise port? The website says there is a signed footpath from the port...any ideas about distance on this? We don't mind 8-10 miles, but that needs to be round-trip back to the port, including the cliff sights.

Will the crowds be horrendous on a weekday? We enjoy meeting other walkers, but do not want to be in a parade.

Thanks.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

The footpath up to the white cliffs starts at the Eastern Docks which is a good 45 minute walk (along the seafront) from the Cruise Terminal. Once on the cliffs you can get to South Forelands Lighthouse within a couple of hours. You may find a lot of people up on the cliff near the car parks and cafe, but they will soon thin out once you are out along the cliff path.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,171 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

How long is your ship in port for? And how long do you have "on the ground"?

Do you know what your sailing time is, and how soon you need to be back at the port to get through the formalities and back on board for disembarcation?

Knowing all of that would be wise.

There are Taxis in Dover so you can summon one if you are struggling, worth finding some 'phone numbers for them and loading them onto your mobile/cell 'phone (if you have one) in case you do get a bit stranded.

I would hazard a guess that the nice peeps at Dover Castle would call one for you, if you are up on the cliffs and really stuck....

Delmar, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

Great info, just what we need. Thanks.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

Another option would be to go the other way from the Cruise Terminal and have a walk along Shakespear Cliff towards Folkestone. Still the White Cliffs of Dover, but a bit closer. Just head to Aycliffe, under the M20 and you're there.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

The cruise terminal has a noticeboard (well, it used to ...) with taxi prices written on it so you don't get ripped off so, if time is short, you can always take a taxi to the White Cliffs park and then walk around there or walk back. Make sure the meter is ON when he leaves the port (same as the states). There is no 'special rate' in the UK (like airport to downtown in the states) so - if it's not on the meter and he claims there are extras just tell him no. Having worked on cruise ships I do know one thing: be back well before the ship leaves!

Delmar, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

Ship arrives at 4:45 AM, leaves at 6:00PM. I assume we can be off by 9:00 (probably earlier). and want to be back by 4:00PM.

I assume most of these walks are OK with this time frame...am I correct?

We love walking in the UK, the paths and the people are so friendly. Since we have seen the Irish Sea from St. Bees Head, and North Sea from Robin Hoods Bay, we feel we should see the Channel from the White Cliffs also.

I am also presuming that it will be more populated than the C2C path, but still dramatically beautiful (weather dependent).

Thanks for your help.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
14 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

With that amount of time you can walk there and back, though I shouldn't think the walk along the edge of Dover is very interesting! I would consider at least a taxi one way to give you more time on the cliffs. Once the White Cliffs park is open you can get a cup of tea or, if you get to South Foreland lighthouse, you can grab a small snack there too.

Delmar, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

Thanks. If weather is not conducive to walking the cliffs we intend to take train to Canterbury. Difficult choice to make

Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
379 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

You might just walk along the cliffs instead of on them, too, just like I did-saves time. You can visit Dover Castle as well. Canterbury has a lot to offer, so after the cathedral you might need more time to wander around. Canterbury Cathedral is stunning.

10. Re: White Cliffs walk from cruise port

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 05:15