We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P&O Dover->Calais ferry

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
P&O Dover->Calais ferry

We have 4 adults travel from Dover to Calais without a car on Aug 2.

I used http://www.poferries.com to check for fare.

The website shows GBP118 for four (or GBP29.5 each) for foot passenger without a car. There is only one quote listed.

However, for 4 adults with a car, to total is only GBP100, and there are choices for fixed or flexible fares.

I don't understand. Why 4 adults with a car is cheaper? Why isn't there any flexibility option for foot passengers?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

Why are you wanting to do this route as foot passengers anyway?

There are direct Eurostar trains from London, Ebbsfleet (north Kent) and Ashford, Kent, to Lille, Paris and Brussels with many onward connevtions.

www.eurostar.com

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

Probably because foot passengers are not profitable for them - they need to lay on a terminal for you to wait in, and a bus to take you from the terminal to the boat, plus shore staff to ensure that you board safely.

In a car, you drive yourself on (there will be one or two shore staff to say when you should leave the queue and board) and the ship's crew direct you to the appropriate place on the car deck. People in cars usually arrive after a long journey, and have a further long journey ahead, so spend plenty of money on refreshments on-board.

P&O are the only company who still take foot passengers on that route so I guess that tells its own story.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

I agree that it seems unfair, but standard foot passenger fares remain constant throughout the year.

sz4
Ontario
Level Contributor
271 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

"Why are you wanting to do this route as foot passengers anyway?"

We are getting off a cruise ship at Dover, and want to go to Paris.

Eurostar starts sale 120 days ahead, so the price for Aug 2 already has gone up.

I'm looking for alternatives.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

Well you need to take the Eurostar one side of the Channel or other, as that is the quickest train from Calais to Paris (not many departures from Calais, although you could take a local train to Lille and pick it up there) so you either do the ferry or take the train from Dover Priory back to Ashford or Ebbsfleet and pick up the train there

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

"I'm looking for alternatives"

Go to London :)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

What car? Many hire co's will not let you take a car out of the UK at all, and particularly not on a ferry. Plus you do NOT want to take a RHD car onto the continent, then deal with that, driving on the wrong side of the road.

P&O are the only ferry co at Dover, to take foot passengers, and then only in daylight hours, so they have a monopoly on this.....

Market forces, they can charge whatever they like! So IMO their foot passenger fair is generous, really....

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

They're not trying to take a car?

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

Maybe not, but they quote the car + 4 price in their OP, which suggests to me they might contemplate it, as an alternative...

Of course, if you add the cost of car hire, add the "premium" for taking it out of the country, then the fuel and insurance costs (and maybe a walloping massive fee for repatriation, if they want a one-way hire) then the foot passenger fee starts to look very atteactive indeedy....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: P&O Dover->Calais ferry

I thought the point in the OP was that the car rate (£100) divided by four gave a per person rate (£25) that was less than the price for individual foot passengers (£29.50), but made no mention that hiring a car was being considered.