We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Hi, my family (including kids ages 20, 16, 7) are visiting London for 5 nights. We want to see some of the countryside, and think Dover would be an interesting place. Since we'd be so close to the Channel, wondering if it would be worth taking a trip through the chunnel just to cross it off our list. Would that be a worthwhile thing to do, or does it take too long to make the trip? We could spend the night in either Dover or on the other side. Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
27,771 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

You cannot take "chunnel" from Dover.

No-one here calls it that, anyway....

If you do, people will look at you funny.....

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,028 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

The easiest way to pass through the tunnel that goes under the English Channel is to book tickets on Eurostar, say London to Paris.

This journey takes 2 hours and a bit. The windows of the train go dark for about 20 minutes or so, and then you are in France looking at the countryside. Not really a big thing to cross off one's list...not nearly so big as London or Paris, or the offerings therein.

Dover is a small town, where many ferries dock. It has Dover Castle, which is very good, but I would not use it as a base to see the countryside.

Tell us a bit more about your trip. Will you be driving? What else besides Dover and the countryside did you want to see? What airport do you fly into? How many days is this trip?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

thanks for the tip....don't want to sound like a tourist!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Our trip is only 5 nights in London, (June 2014) my husband and sons will be coming off a 9 day vision/mission trip in Kenya and London is the connecting city. We have visited Paris previously, so no need to go there unless crossing the channel is an exciting event. We plan to see some of London, staying in Mayfair area. From past traveling experience I know my family does not need to see every museum and historical site, so I was trying to think of things that would be more active and interesting to older teen/young adult males. We are hitting the Harry Potter London tour to satisfy my 7 year old's travel dream. Any ideas of things that would take us outdoors? Any good horse racing, car events or other activities? Thank you!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,563 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Depending on your dates - there is (horse) racing at Epsom and Sandown Park in June.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,039 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

So - five night trip in London, so four full days.

One day out at Harry Potter Tour (incidentally have you booked yet? If not, you must).

One day at the Races.

One day to visit a rather workaday port town on the south coast and travel through a railway tunnel.

I know what I'd drop ;-)

Edited: 30 April 2014, 09:18
London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Apart from going under the sea, the Channel Tunnel is remarkably like travelling on the Northern Line for 20 minutes - a railway tunnel. The Northern Line has the advantage of stations at regular intervals to give you someting to look at

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Go to Oxford for the day, buy a picnic and hire a punt.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

Thanks for all the advice.

10. Re: London vacation, visit Dover, take Chunnel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2015, 06:16