We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

Which Dover hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester
Level Contributor
59 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

I’m travelling to France on the 6:40am sailing P&O ferry Dover > Calais on Wednesday 11th June. We’re staying in the Premier Inn right next to Dover ferry terminal, so travel time is about 2 minute! I’d like to not have to get up ridiculously early as we have 6 hours of driving before our first overnight stay.

The P&O booking info says we have to book in at least 30 minutes before the sailing time. However they don’t give any indication of the likely time we need to leave between arriving at the terminal and getting booked in.

What is the latest we should be able to sensibly leave it before we need to get to the ferry terminal?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

The passport control is usually fairly fast. But you may be called in by Customs to have your vehicle inspected and this can take about 10-20 minutes. It happens to us about 1 in 3 times when we take the ferry to France.

Note that 30 minutes before sailing time is usually the time when boarding actually begins, so don't cut it too fine.

I've answered your other similar question on the Calais forum.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,289 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

I've been pulled over by customs....and that does take time.

Give it an hour or so. If I've said too much time, better to safe than sorry.

London
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

If you're not booked in 30 minutes before sailing, I'd expect you to be moved onto the next sailing. They need to close and prepare the manifest in plenty of time, so they won't accomodate late comers.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

I wouldn't leave it any later than 45 minutes before departure. 1hr. would be preferable.

Dover is a large port and it can take several minutes just to drive across the tarmac to reach the appropriate holding lane before departure.

Checking-in is a lot quicker now with vehicle recognition etc. but it only takes someone in front of you to get held up........

5. Re: How long to book in at Dover Ferry Terminal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 06:16