We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Cloud Cuckoo Land
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

I wonder if someone could tell me if The Deep is worth a visit, and is it Wheelchair friendly?

Also is the Shopping Centre area in Hull easy accessed by a Wheelchair user with regards to flatness, shops access, Parking etc?

Many Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hull
Hull
7 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
The Hull People's Memorial Museum
History Museums, Gift & Speciality Shops
Brambles
Gift & Speciality Shops
The Goodie Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops, Other Food & Drink
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Hi Maggie147.

Yes the deep is very wheel chair friendly and I do believe the "pusher" get's in for nowt.

We have 3 main shopping centre's in Hull and all have lift's.

If you want any more info about Hull just ask.

ian480.

Edited: 25 May 2010, 19:25
Mentioned in this post
Hull
Hull
7 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

For details of wheelchair access ect................

www.thedeep.co.uk/access.php

ian480.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
751 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

It's hard to say if the deep is worth a visit as I've not been. My wife says it was interesting, however its only a big fish tank! Look at the 13 reviews on TA:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186317-…

It is a new building and so must be accessible by law. My wife noticed it has lifts, but as our wheelchair using son was not with her did not fully test the accessibility.

I've written articles on the three main shopping centres in Hull which might help. St.Stephens is almost on a single level and is very accessible. Princes Quay has gently sloping ramps and lifts to all floors as would be expected in a modern building.

There is one thing that Hull has in plenty is *flat*. There are no hills at all, and drivers never have to do a hill start (except on the railway bridge!).

See photos here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186317-…

Mentioned in this post
Hull
Hull
7 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Thanks very much for those links, both the Deep and Hull centre look like they will be fine for us...its my adult son thats in a wheelchair, he likes things like the Sealife centres he's visited before, so i'm sure he'll like that.

With regards to the 3 shopping areas mentioned, are they all pretty close together, and in the centre of Hull? He likes to look for Dvd's so would there be an HMV or something similar in Hull.

I'm trying to work out where would be the best place to park?...I've got a Blue Badge so would parking be free or payable on the car parks, if so is there reasonable on street parking, for Blue Badge holders.

If we went to The Deep first could we just park up there and walk into the centre, or would it be a bit of a hike with the wheelchair?

Also what would be a decent cafe/coffee house for a bit of a bite to eat for lunch, that would have easy access.

Many Thanks - Magpie

Mentioned in this post
Hull
Hull
7 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Hi Maggie.

I would think seeing you have a wheelchair user with you, the walk into town might be a little to far for you. Maybe best to park after your visit to the deep somewhere like Princes Ouay Shopping Centre. I do believe the centre doe's have a big music shop. On the ground floor behind the fast food shops is a nice cafe where you can have a snack or a meal. But they are plenty of places in town for a bit to eat.

The "new" shopping centre is next to the Bus/Train station. Not too sure what's there as I've only been in once.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

ian480.

Edited: 26 May 2010, 15:59
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Thanks Ian...how close are the shopping areas to one another?

Many Thanks - Magpie

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
751 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

HMV is down Whitefriargate which is nearby Princes Quay.

The main record store in Primnces Quay was Zavvi which as you know closed due to going bust nationally.

I agree Princes Quay is a good place to park, but so is St.Stephens. All have specially designated blue-badge bays. Two hours FREE parking at St.Stephens, but not free at Princes Quay.

Plenty of parking at the deep itself.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

If you park in Princes Quay? I would say only 400 yards to St Stephens Centre.

The other one, The Prospect Centre is across the main road and down the street as you come back out of St Stephens and is heading back to Princes Quay.

If you are driving into Hull via the A63 you will pass the Princes Quay shopping centre on your left when you head for The Deep.

ian480.

Mentioned in this post
Hull
Hull
7 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
751 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

I would not walk from the deep car park into town with a wheelchair user.

Plenty of accessible cafes in St.Stepens on first level, Vanilla opposite, Luciano's just off Victoria Square. Everyhing in the centre in easy walking distance of each other.

Mentioned in this post
Vanilla
Vanilla
75 Reviews
Kingston-upon-Hull, UK
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Deep and Hull for Wheelchair User ?

Ahh thats great..thanks to both of you, been most helpful that. Ive just emailed tourist info too...they sending me out some info and a map!

Many thanks - Magpie

Get answers to your questions about Kingston-upon-Hull