We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick trip to Hull

Which Kingston-upon-Hull hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quick trip to Hull

Hello!

I'll be flying in to Hull for a few days at the beginning of March to attend a wedding. I'm wondering if it's better to fly in to Manchester from Canada then take the train to Hull or if there's a better way to get there? I haven't been in an obscenely long time and can't recall to best way to get to Hull. London, then train?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick trip to Hull

In terms of time, I’d say it doesn’t much matter which you use. Air fare and flight convenience may be more important factors. Are there non-stops from YOW to Manchester?

Direct trains from Manchester Piccadilly to Hull take about 2 hours; from London King’s Cross they take about 2hrs 30 mins.

You would add about a half hour to get by train from the Manchester airport compared to up to an hour from either of the London airports to the respective train stations.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick trip to Hull

I just saw that Leeds has an airport - it wouldn't be international by any chance, would it?

Also, I'd like to take my friends to a nice dinner to celebrate. Any recommendations?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick trip to Hull

By the way the aquarium in hull is highly recomended and I think the worlds only underwater lift quite literally is in the main tank just surrounded by glass.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Leeds Bradford in an international airport, however there are no flights from/to Canada, you would have to go via New York.

If you can get a direct flight to Manchester at a good price, that would be the easiest airport to go to as there are trains from the airport to Manchester Piccadilly where you can pick up a direct train to Hull.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,876 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Hull would be an easier journey from Manchester Airport than from Heathrow or Gatwick.

I would only go for a London airport if there was a substantially cheaper fare available.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Train from Manchester is way preferable; direct from the airport itself (Platform#3) and the rolling stock is pretty good (air con & smooth).

2'30" for one change, close ot 3 hours for others.

It only depends if you can get a convenient flight to MCR- a connection from LHR may involve a Terminal change to fly or the transfer to London (King's Cross) if connecting by rail. This rail fare should be booked soonest if that is your plan.

Best place by FAR hereabouts to eat is the Pipe& Glass at South Dalton (c4m North of Beverley) but you may not be able to reserve a table this close- it is very popular (for a reason). They do serve the same food in the bar but you have to chance a table being free while you wait. Not cheap- maybe £40 a head.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Thank you all so much for the inside info on travel! It looks like my best bet would be a direct flight from Ottawa to London - hoping to book the flight today. Then it's a matter of finding a way to the train station - King's Cross, I believe, then a nice leisurely trek up north to Hull.

Thanks for the aquarium idea! I had forgotten about that as I hadn't been to Hull in about 10 years. I hope to have time to check it out!

The Pipe & Glass sounds lovely! I'll check it out and see if I can reserve a table in time. Are there any other suitable places to look into should The Pipe & Glass not work out for us?

I am so looking forward to this!

Thank you all so much!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,876 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick trip to Hull

OK - you don't say which London Airport, but there are easy connections from both Heathrow Airport and Gatwick Airport to London Kings Cross.

There are direct traisn from Kings Cross to Hull, operated by a company called Hull Trains - here's a link to their website:

http://www.hulltrains.co.uk/index.php

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Ah, that name of that aqaurim I think is the deep, I'd recommend asking for a torch if you have problems neogating your way around as it can be dark in sections there to be honest and I should have asked for one when I was there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick trip to Hull

Will second the Pipe & Glass best food in the area. If you drive up there see a bit of the Wolds it is not far from David Hockney's "Bigger Trees" etc.

Get answers to your questions about Kingston-upon-Hull