We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

Hi All,

I've read a few reviews where people have had alcohol taken off them prior to boarding the ship at Hull

Has anyone any experience of this? Did you have the alcohol on show, was your bag clinking etc or did they find it by scanning bags (am assuming some sort of x-ray machine will be used like at airports)?

There are 3 of us going and it would be nice to have a tipple in the room whilst we're getting ready to go to the bar?

36 replies to this topic
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

That's IF you go on one of the "mini-cruises" though.

As I said, the transfer time from Rotterdam to Amsterdam on the coach was awful, and not the 45 minutes I was led to believe. More like 2 hours!

Much better to just go into Rotterdam, which, in my opinion, is also a great city to explore. But that isn't what P&O try and sell to you on the mini-cruises. Well, they do sort of, but everyone wants to go to the other 'Dam!!!

To tell the truth though, you can get what you are looking for in Rotterdam! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

" But that isn't what P&O try and sell to you on the mini-cruises. "

I do not understand that statement. When you book a mini cruise on line or by phone you can pick to spend the day in Rotterdam or Amsterdam. Yes most people do pick Amsterdam but there is a least one Rotterdam coach waiting and it's the first in line as you walk out. Rotterdam is about 30 - 45 minute trip. Amsterdam in a least 90 minutes but can take longer. I've been on the coach back to the ship 150 minutes because the road was blocked. But any traveller should take things look that in their stride. For the price you pay, you cannot fault it.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 21:02
Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

Just adding, If you do go across on holiday and not a mini cruise, yes the price goes up quite a bit. But you can still get the coach to Rotterdam Train Station. I think it's around £6 each for the coach if you book it with P&O Northsea.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 21:12
Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

"Yes most people do pick Amsterdam but there is a least one Rotterdam coach waiting and it's the first in line as you walk out. Rotterdam is about 30 - 45 minute trip. Amsterdam in a least 90 minutes but can take longer. "

But, as I said, P&O customer services told me that the coach transfer from Rotterdam ferry port to Amsterdam was only 45 minutes!

Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

People make mistakes. P&O Head office at Dover tried telling me that there was only 1 P&O ferry terminal at King George Dock in Hull. She got quite upset when I told her she did not know what she was talking about.

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

All,

Thanks for your replies

We upgraded slightly to an outside 4 berth cabin (don't think there's much more space) but we might see what upgrades are available on the day as well...

It'll take us a while to get ready (3 grown women in one small cabin!) so it would be 'nice' to have a drink while chatting and getting ready; better than one of us sitting upstairs at the bar alone or leaving one downstairs to get ready alone while two sit in the bar

Think we might take some wine in the cartons and maybe a tipple of spiritts in a pop bottle

Thanks for all your help!

nottingham/dalyan
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

A slightly different question, about taking food.

I'm actually doing the mini cruise to Zeebrugge, but I expect the rule&regs are identical. If you take your own food, is there anything to prevent you settling down somewhere for your own picnic? We don't want to take a load of stuff only to find that we have to consume it in our tiny cabin. Presumably there are seating areas that are not part of the bars or restaurants.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

Hi Tidus, Sorry I missed your post. To be honest I don't know about food, but just sit out of the way in one of the bars and go for it. As long as your drinking their beer I can't see a problem. All the staff are very friendly and if it is wrong they will just have a quite word with you.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

Hi - a late question to your post if I may. My pall and I are going on the ferry next week and just wondered how you got on. Was going to take a little bit of vodka in a sprite bottle but I read that the security guys actually sniff the bottles. Grateful for any tips! thank you

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol

Pack a picnic and enjoy - the rules only go for alcohol.

Reply to: P&O Mini-Cruise to Rotterdam-Taking Alcohol
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kingston-upon-Hull