We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I go to Hull alone?

Bolton, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Should I go to Hull alone?

There is a gig that I would like to go to in Hull . I am also interested in having a look around Hull, and staying there for one or two nights. However, my friends and family can't make it at the moment, so I'm wondering whether to go alone. I haven't been to Hull before.

I suppose I could contact some people that live in Hull who like the band online, and see if I can meet up with them there?. I'm not sure what to do. Do you think it would be safe?. It's a long journey for me too. I would need to catch two trains to get there,and it takes a few hours to get there.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Hi MissH531.

I'm not sure that this is really a travel related question or one that anyone other than yourself can answer.

Do you feel comfortable traveling alone and exploring alone? Have you done so before? I'm assuming you are female from your screen name, and you don't give your age. Depending on how old you are, it may be that you should also discuss your plans with your parents.

I haven't been to Hull in some time, but am not aware that it is any safer or more dangerous than Bolton. So, being in the location isn't 'unsafe'. Traveling by train alone is not 'unsafe'. If you would travel alone to a gig in Bolton, then going to one further away does not present any obvious additional dangers.

Meeting people who you have not met before and have only contacted online has it's own dangers. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but does mean that you should apply certain precautions (ie meeting in public places, etc) if you do decide to do that.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 15:59
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
736 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Hull is a University town and their are lots of people in similar positions going to the Gigs and it should be just as safe as any other large town.

Where is the Gig? Perhaps we can guide you on the travel or venues in the area.

Bolton, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Thank you for your replies. I have travelled alone before. I was on the train on my own, but I met up with people that I had been in touch with when I got there. They were people who lived in the area.I wasn't alone when I got there. I have also been out locally on my own, but sometimes there were people who I knew there.

I think I would feel ok on the train, but I'm not sure if I would at the venue.

I am 22 years old. The venue is the Adelphi.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Well personally I love traveling alone and am quite happy to go to gigs on my own. Others have to have company. I guess it comes down to how much you like your own company!

You could always just try it and if you don't really like it, don't do it again. It's only a couple of days, afterall.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,193 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Could you get a friend to go with you? I am sure you would be ok alone but THB you dont sound very confident, and a friend makes it more enjoyable anyway.

Bolton, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

I think it's a bit short notice for them. Some of them cant get time off work, and some don't have enough money for the trip. And some of them have children and they cant take them to the gig.

I'm not sure if it's a standing area, or if there are seats there. If its standing, everyone would be stood near each other anyway. I wouldn't mind that, as I would just be watching the gig while standing with everyone else.

I have been to some gigs alone. It's just that they weren't as far away as this gig is. And they were in arenas and theatres.

I think I would just be worried about getting a taxi to the hotel or walking around on my own late at night.

It would probably better if I just went for one night if I am alone.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
736 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

OK. The Adelphi is a small venue. Its actually a house. (yes its in a house). There are no seats. There are no room for seats.

You can look at the layout of the venue, look at the outside from google street view on their web site:

http://www.theadelphi.com/about/about.html

(Its a legendary venue. I gigged there once. Everyone has to do the Adelphi once!)

The street is in the middle of student-land. Almost every house is a student occupied property.

It is not too far from the station; just a walk down Beverley Road.

To decide if you think it is safe you can look at the walk from the station on Google Maps/Street View.

The main Hazard are the other drunks walking up and down Beverley Road. It even has (at night) illuminated signs warning drivers to slow down for "pedestrians in the road".

Bolton, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

Thanks. Do you need to pay an entry fee to get in to the club ?.

What is the name of the train station in Hull ?. Is the Adelphi in the city centre?.

I think I would be ok being in a small venue on my own where there is a standing area, as I could just stand with everyone else and watch the gig.

I would need to find a hotel to stay in, either within walking distance, or I would need to get a taxi there.

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

The Ibis Hotel or the Travelodge would be reasonably close if the Adelphi is on Beverley Rd. The station is called the Paragon I believe and I would imagine that there would be regular buses from the station if needed - I have not been so not sure how far it is

Bradford
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should I go to Hull alone?

I meant to the Adelphi not the hotels! They are within walking distance

Get answers to your questions about Kingston-upon-Hull