We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

horse riding possibilities

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
horse riding possibilities

I am looking to book a 2 night stay somewhere in the lake district this coming summer (yes, i know, i'm a little on th early side!).

i've heard that hipping hall is incredible, and may be staying in that neck of the woods (kirkby lonsdale, cumbria), although i'm also considering ambleside and other villages (towns?) near windermere.

can anyone tell me anything about horse riding activities in the area? and if so, what could you recommend for a guy (husband) who's completely at home on a horse, and a woman (me) who hasn't set her bum on a horse since she was 13 years old? ;-)

any help will be gratefully received. ta.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: horse riding possibilities

I would recommend this place near Keswick - they cater for all ages and abilities:

http://www.rookinhouse.co.uk/

UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: horse riding possibilities

Have a look at www.horseridingholidays.co.uk. I'm just about to go on a weekend break there (highly recommended by a friend).

Herzliya, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: horse riding possibilities

thanks for your help, guys.

UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: horse riding possibilities

Having returned from my visit to Hipshow stables, I would hesitate to wholeheartedly recommend it. If you are a novice to intermediate rider, it might suffice but if you are more experienced and want a good bracing ride, you might find yourself disappointed. On our 2 hour ride, we meandered round the lanes for 1 hour 58 minutes. The other 2 or so minutes involved 3 20 second canters and 2 5 second trots. The woman who owns and runs the stables is perfectly nice but is your typical bossy equine woman and insists that you let the horses snatch at their bits and that you ride them with your reins like washing lines. I made my excuses and left the next day and was still charged the £70 for the 4 hour ride (I guess I had booked it, so was not wholly unreasonable but still.......). The accomodation at their B&B was ok; maybe B&Bs are just not my thing. I found it hard sharing a bathroom with other people and my lunch with dog hairs.

Cumbria
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: horse riding possibilities

Hello

Horse riding and horse riding holidays in Cumbria is to be highly recommended, not only for the horse riding enthusiast, but also those seeking a horseback ride (novice or otherwise) in the amazing local scenery.

Im sure that any Lake District yard owner offering a horse riding experience has two things in mind .. The care and safety or their treasured equine friends and the safety and enjoyment of their customers.

For the balanced approach I would recommend visiting Bigland Hall Equestrian. Having riden with them before it is clear they have a variety of quality horses and ponies to suit the needs of all riders, from a safe accompanied childs pony ride, to an advanced riding lesson or a Cumbrian Trail Ride.

Check out whats on offer..

www.biglandhall.com

6. Re: horse riding possibilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 05:21