We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
6 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Solo Traveler

Hi,

I'm a 45 year old man who is thinking of going to the Lake District by myself for 5 days. I've been living in Spain for 1.5 years, and this will be my last trip before I go back to the U.S. , and I want a nice, quiet peaceful vacation.

I have two questions. First, do you think that a single traveler can enjoy himself in the Lake District? Second, is there enough to do for 5 days? My thought was that I was going to spend most of the time hiking through the District. Does that seem reasonable? Also, I'm going to rent a car, do you think that's a good idea? I guess that's actually 4 questions.

Thanks.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,922 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Traveler

"Yes" to all questions.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Traveler

If you want to do some guided walks with other people, take a look at the offerings on the Keswick Rambles site, http://www.keswickrambles.org.uk/

While you can certainly rent a car if you want, I am wondering why you would need to? If you are doing mostly hiking, it seems a car would be sitting empty in lonely parking lots most of the time, and you would be limiting yourself to circular or there-and-back walks. The bus services in the Lakes is pretty good, and I think you could plan walks that can be accessed by those services. See stagecoachbus.com/northwest/timetables.php

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
63 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Traveler

I'd disagree slightly with the last post. While the bus services are indeed reliable, they do limit your freedom a little. Having visited the Lakes as a bus traveller and with a car, in my opinion the latter is definitely best. It's a big area and there are so many spots worth visiting, some relatively isolated. So if you can hire a car, do.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Traveler

IMO you could miss a lot without a car. A drive over the spectacular Hardknott and Wrynose passes should not be missed and can't be done by bus. There are parking places at most major sites and roadside parking is permissable in rural areas if one parks considerately and sensibly. Lake District pubs welcome walkers, alone or in groups, so you'll be in good company if you fancy a pint and a chat at the end of a hike.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Traveler

I too think a car is vital - if you want a 'nice, quiet, peaceful' vacation. The Lake District can heave and be totally thronged at the busiest times of year and you need the car to escape the crowds, even if you are hiking. I remember a hot summer a few years ago when our local news channel (I live fairly locally) had the police saying 'the Lake District was basically full and would people avoid the area! "

Because of the terrain there are limited routes in and out of the honyepot areas and they get completely choked up.

What time of the year are you planning to travel? I love the Lake District dearly, and I don't want to put you off, but there are times of the year (peak school holidays for instance) where I stay well clear of the place!

Also thinking of accommodation, a farm stay in the Lakes is a great (and often very reasonably priced) way to stay. Many farms do a lovely B and B, and as they often have just 1 or 2 bedrooms to let out it would give you the peace you require often in some stunning scenery. However, a car would be essential for this sort of stay as the farms are obviously very rural! £25 a night would be the sort of price you might be paying for this sort of break.

This website gives some ideas of farm stays.

www.golakes.co.uk

And this site gives lots of walking ideas

www.davidhalllakedistrictwalks.co.uk

Another area you might want to consider if you want fabulous walking and scenery is the Yorkshire Dales, or the Yorkshire Moors (which encompass some of the coast). These would not be as busy as the Lakes.

Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Traveler

Hello

Yes a single traveller can have a great time in the Lakes.

There is lots to do you will have no problem filling 5 days.

Rent a car you will just waste to much time if you try to go places by bus and this would also limit you to the main centres. (Many of the best sights, pubs, waterfalls etc are down narrow lanes and off main roads you need your own car to get to them).

7. Re: Solo Traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Lake District
Recent Conversations