We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in windermere

London
5 posts
Save Topic
Places to visit in windermere

I'm planning to visit windermere on the 21st of Aug for 3 nights, already booked to saty at Glenburn Hotel on Halfboard basis. I'll be travelling from london and thinking of taking my car is there any other modes more suitable? also what are the ideal places to visit in the 3 days? Many thanks

merseyside
Level Contributor
340 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit in windermere

Hi yodominic,

Take your pick - plenty of places to visit, we don't drive so tend to use boats/buses but you'll most probably be able to travel further than we can - here's a few ideas anyway.

Grizedale forest (go over lake windermere on car ferry then a few miles drive) - lovely forest walks, sculptures, picnic area, and a nice visitor centre.

Tarn Hows - fantastic views some say most beautiful in lakes (lies between hawkshead and coniston water (car parking nearby)

Elterwater - nice walk a couple of waterfalls, and, the brittania inn very good for lunch you can sit outside on a good day.

Grasmere - see dove cottage, wordsworth's grave, don't forget to visit gingerbread shop very yummy.

There's also boat trips over lake with visits to the aquarium, or, steam train ride.

Dalton wildlife conservation park if you like animals - different than normal zoos - conservation is their priority. I even stroked a python when we last went - didn't think I would be so brave!!

Laurel and Hardy museum in Ulverston - my hubby is a big fan of them. We went there first then travelled on to Dalton animal park you can do both in a day.

Beatrix Potter museum in Bowness is good for children if you have any, you could also go to HillTop farm where she lived (opposite side of the lake)

The Rheged Centre nr Penrith is supposed to be very good - that's the only place we've not tried yet, thinking of going this year.

I hope these suggestions have been helpful to you we've done all of them using public transport, and, our feet - try to do a little walking if you can it's a shame just to see the scenery through a car window. Don't forget the tourist information centres will also advise you, try looking on the web also - can't remember specific websites but there are a lot for the lakes. Dalton wildlife park, and, the Laurel and Hardy museum also have website that you can have a look at. Have a good break, we've got another few weeks to go yet.

Regards Anne

London
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit in windermere

Hi Anne

Many thanks for the tip, i'm planning to use the car less once i get there. From what i read the place i'll be staying in Windermere is quite close to most of the attractions there.

3. Re: Places to visit in windermere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 06:23