We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B & B in Keswick area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
B & B in Keswick area

Hi I am still planning this trip, and from the boards here I gather Wasdale and Cockermouth and others less touristy are recommended--we will have a car---I saw New Hoouse Farm in Lorton near Buttermemer and not far from Keswick I think---anyone have any feedback on this?

Mountain Goat Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Lake District Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Lakes Supertours
Sightseeing Tours
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B & B in Keswick area

Hi dudette, I can't give you any info on that, but we stayed a bit farther south near Coniston, and it was out of the touristy areas and quiet. It was Browside B&B, Little Arrow, Coniston ... check the reviews. Good luck!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B & B in Keswick area

Thanks halfBrit will check. I looked again at New House and it is pretty pricey at least it says so in the Keswick travel guide. I hadn/t seen that before I posted. There seem to be plenty of smaller B&B in a reasinable range. But I wonder now if a hotel is better because if you feel like comingback in the day tiem and take a nap or not go out in the evening and just read, it might be more appropriate than ina B&B. Am I correct in this?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,220 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B & B in Keswick area

Okay, I'm confused by your question! Once your B&B room is cleaned in the morning, you often do not see your host/hostess again, unless you want to. So, would you feel comfortable coming back after an exursion to take a nap? Yes. Would you feel comfortable just staying in your room and reading in the evening? Yes.

There is a range of B&B types. Some are "purpose built", and are designed somewhat more like a very small motel. You may even have a private entrance. Many more are just large homes wherein you enter through an entry hall, and thence to your room. Most have "guest lounges" for the exclusive use of guests, some do not. Some have separate dining rooms, some simply set up a table in the lounge for breakfast, then remove it.

Nearly 100% now have ensuite bathrooms, satellite TV, tea& coffee makings in the room, hairdryers. A very few have fridges. One in Scotland graciously did our laundry at no charge!

There is a rating and inspection process for B&B's. I would recommend at least the three-diamond; four-diamond are nicer still.

We stayed in 22 different B&B's during a very long trip last year; all were pleasant and some were outstanding!

We used these two guides:

www.farmstayuk.co.uk

www.bedandbreakfastnationwide.com

We preferred staying on farms as we have a small farm here on the Oregon coast, and are used to peace & quiet. The second web site is the same company that publishes what is known as the Little Green Book.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B & B in Keswick area

Thanks a bunch! I forget where I was but it was either Ireland or England and we were told we were expected to be out of the house after breakfast, not to hang around, but of course it was politely said; that maybe the hostess had things to do around the huse and guests might be underfoot---or I got the ipressin that it was a bed (for the night) and a breakfast and not meant as aq place to stay all day, unlike a hotle where you can do what you want. I will check out the websites you mentioned. Thanks

Durham, England
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B & B in Keswick area

Dudette, New House Farm has received very good reviews here on Trip Advisor (or "Adviser", as of course it should be). I haven't stayed there, but I have eaten there - they do lunches - and can vouch for the quality of the cooking and the welcome, both of which have been excellent over the past three years. I gather it's a great place to stay, too.

Lorton Vale is lovely: quite unspoiled and quiet. Nearby Cockermouth is a typical working Lake District town - few of the usual tourist shops, and all the better for it IMV - and is home to the Jennings brewery, which produces excellent beer. You're not too far from the fleshpots of Keswick, either.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
307 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B & B in Keswick area

If you fancy farm accommodation in the Lorton/Cockermouth area you might also consider this farm B&B

http://www.byresteads.co.uk/

I havent stayed there but I know it won awards for the sympathetic refurbishment, and it has 4 diamonds which is good quality.

7. Re: B & B in Keswick area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 03:17