We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in the Lake District

Wrexham, UK
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in the Lake District

I'm getting married in August next year and am thinking to Honeymoon in the Lake District. I've never been before.

I'm thinking that we would like to spend a week there - probably Wed - Wed. Would we be able to rent somewhere cosy (Cottage, log cabin etc) for that time period or are lettings normally Sat - Sat?

Can anyone recommend a good location for walking, shops, eating......just being together.

Any recommendations for locations and also possible places to stay.....I'd love to hear them.

Caroline

Lancashire
Level Contributor
666 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in the Lake District

You will struggle for sure for wed to wed let it peak time in August... usually that type of let would only be available at last minute. You cant usually even get a weekend let then.

For 2 a cottage works out dear as most accomodate more so you end up paying for beds you wouldnt use

I wiuld suggest a nice hotel

Good value is the White House at Bowness and the food is to die for.

Top end have a look at Hipping Hall

If you give a bit more idea budget standard must haves etc can probably suggest something

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,560 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in the Lake District

This site is very good:

www.amblesideonline.co.uk/newguesthse.shtml

but aside from that we recently stayed four nights at the Hotel Rothay Garth in Ambleside,

http://www.rothay-garth.co.uk/ I will speculate that they will book any time-frame you like if you contact them early enough.

It is operated, and daily managed, by the family who own the place. They are absolutely delightful people. We were quite happy there.

Plenty of nice restaurants nearby, which will be very crowded in August.

Ambleside is a pleasant and attractive town for walking around, but not so great for shopping unless you are specifically interested in out-door gear.

uk
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in the Lake District

try tallentire or lorton, lovely cottages with log fires.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in the Lake District

Hello TravelCaroline, I'm sorry for my late reply, however I do believe that as this is your honeymoon, opt for a place where you can get some privacy and some space which I should think you would be able to achieve in a self contained cottage as opposed to say a guest house or B&B.

By getting self contained accommodation, you may pay more per night but you may also save on food costs if you cook your own meals and have a quiet night in if you wish enjoying your own company.

Walking along the waters edge of the lake is nice and going to little villages such as Grassmere is also lovely for lunch etc. If you have your car, pack a picnic then find a spot somewhere with a fantastic view and take in the beauty of the area.

Don't forget to book early and finally, have a wonderful honeymoon.

5. Re: Honeymoon in the Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 12:33