We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year and first anniversary

lincoln
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
New Year and first anniversary

My husband and I are hoping to go to the lakes for 4 days over New Year - New Years Eve will be our first wedding anniversary - but we are unsure about where to go. We have been looking at Ivythwaite Lodge in Winderemere but is this the best location for a young couple? Any advice on area and/or accomodation would be very welcome.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,547 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year and first anniversary

I have limited knowledge, but look at this place:

http://www.rothay-garth.co.uk/

We stayed there for four nights in October and loved it. The hosts are extraordinarily friendly and helpful, the breakfast is hearty and adjusted to your wishes, the town is nice for walking.

Also, I thought this web site was helpful:

www.amblesideonline.co.uk/accominfo.shtml

And if you go to Ambleside, then I recommend the Log House for an anniversary dinner. We thought it was by far the class of the places we tried.

merseyside
Level Contributor
342 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year and first anniversary

I would decide on the area you wish to go to and then look on this site for visitor recommendations.

If you decide on Windermere Cedar Manor is the top hotel in Cumbria. I went there many years ago, thoroughly enjoyed it, and it has an intimate, cosy atmosphere. Not cheap but look it up on it's website.

lincoln
Level Contributor
41 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year and first anniversary

I am actually struggling to choose which area to go to?? Where would be good at that time of year?

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year and first anniversary

Hi Becky,

I don't often go to Windermere / Bowness as I find it a bit commercial but I did spend a New Years Eve there a couple of years back at the Woodlands Hotel on Lake Road and thoroughly enjoyed it. After a lovely meal at the hotel we wandered down into Bowness and all the pubs were lively with a great atmosphere then at midnight there was a fireworks display over the lake.

It you want a lively NYE you might want to stick to the towns of Bowness or Keswick.

I know 3 nights over NY wasn't particularly cheap though!

5. Re: New Year and first anniversary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 21:18