We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good driving route

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
good driving route

Hi

I'll be up in the Lakes in a couple of weeks for the weekend. We'll be based in Grasmere (as usual), doing a walk 1 day & i fancied exploring a bit for a day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good route to take, one that will take me through nice/dramatic scenery & also nice villages we're we can stop for a short while.

Basically the only parts of the lake district i've seen, despit being a regular visitor, are Grasmere, Keswick & Ambleside. Also seen Windermere & Bowness but we're not keen on them.

Also, any advice on a walk would be welcome. Something nearby Grasmere though. We've done Helm Crag, Eastdale Tarn & Loughrigg.

Thanks very much for any help

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good driving route

You can't go wrong going over the passes - eg Wrynose; Hard Knott etc.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good driving route

Ditto to what Peterscot has said. Just make sure you have a good car, a confident driver and good nerves on parts of those passes. My kids had a whale of a time - they thought it was better than being on a roller coaster.

The Eskdale area is very pretty.

If you are able to, the drive to Wastwater and around it, right up to Wasdale Head Inn is beautiful too, although the Wasdale Head Inn disappoints. Wastwater is remote and serene. The mountains around it have a brooding quality. Fabulous.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: good driving route

Also, head a little south from Grasmere to Ambleside then take the Kirkstone Pass up and then down to Ullsawater. Stunning!

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good driving route

thanks for all the tips.

I'm actually coming to Ullswater camping next week & i'm planning to go via Kirkstone Pass, much better than staying on the M6.

I'll try the other passes to, Hardknott etc and the drive through Eskdale.

Pity about the Wasdale Inn, its a pub i'd always fancied trying, but never mind

Mumbai
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: good driving route

Forgot about Kirkstone Pass. (2 years ago) However, there is an inn there - the Kirkstone Pass Inn I think. Its location is fantastic - dramatic scenery and the food is pretty good. It was quite busy when we went.

Staff were really friendly and the service quick. We liked it so much, I had promised to write a review, which I never got around to, so this is my way of making amends.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: good driving route

Sorry but I have to defend the Wasdale Head.

It may be a bit too "fell-walkers & climbers" for some tastes but it is a good honest hostelry in a magical location and it gets even better with every pint of the beer which they brew on the premises.

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: good driving route

ever thought of driving up to whitehaven and taking the coast road down to barrow...lots of interesting places to see........

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: good driving route

If you've never done the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes before exercise caution. Bits of those (particularly the Hardknott pass) are actually 1:3 gradients. There is also a very nice hairpin bend at the Hardknott.

Assuming you will be going up via the Langdales then bits of that road (the approach to the Wrynose Pass) are extremely narrow - be prepared to brush you car against the foliage.

By contrast the Kirkstone Pass coming from Ullswater is very easy as it's the main road down to Windermere.

Eskdale itself is nice but after 3 trips to the pub at Eskdale green I've yet to have any decent food there.

I forgot to add - The Inn on the Lake at Ullswater (actually located just before Glenridding) has a beautiful view of the lake - they have outdoor seating at the back by the lake as well as out front.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: good driving route

Another nice round is to Keswick (via quiet road on West side of Thirlmere), down Borrowdale - plenty of places to stop - side trip to Watendlath to see the view from Ashness Bridge - over Honister pass to Buttermere (round the lake is a nice short walk) back to Keswick over Newlands and back to Grasmere.

This is a much easier drive than Wrynose/Hardknott which is very scenic but enervating to drive when busy, being steep, bendy, narrow and bumpy throughout.

UK
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: good driving route

Thanks for all you great advice.

Regarding Kirkstone Pass, we're up in the Lakes this weekend, staying near Watermillock. So i'd decided to drive Kirkstone rather than stay on the M6.

I'll look at all your other recommendation too and decide where to drive, your advice regarding Hardknott Pass & the others has been taken on board. I don't want to frighten myself to death or not be able to look out of the windows because i've got to have my eyes glued to the road.

Thanks again