We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay suggestion please

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
321 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay suggestion please

Coming up on business to Sunderland in a few weeks time. Thought we would make a long weekend of it and spend 3 nights in the lake district before heading back down south. Have never been before so have no idea of where to stay. We don't like busy, touristy places particularly and would prefer to be in the countryside within driving distance of a few places to visit. A reasonably priced hotel (don't need a spa or pool) - but not a B & B. Don't want to spend a fortune as we will probably be out exploring most of the time.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Rayleigh, United...
Destination Expert
for Seoul, Rothenburg
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay suggestion please

in your situation I use a commercial site, www.smoothhound.co.uk.

Normally has listings which give quite a lot of info. Then back check with Tripadvisor.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay suggestion please

I'd recommend heading for somewhere around Ullswater. If you're driving across from Sunderland, I assume you'll be coming on either the A66 or A686 and crossing the M6 at Junction 40. From there, it's only a short drive to Ullswater. It's also considerably less busy and touristy than places further south like Ambleside or Grasmere.

Pooley Bridge is a nice enough little town at the north-east end of Ullswater, and is a breeze to get to from J40 of the M6. Can't remember if it has hotels as such, but I'm fairly sure it has a couple of pubs with accommodation. Alternatively, there are various hotels further along Ullswater on the way between Pooley Bridge and Glenridding. Glenridding would also be a good place to stay, and definitely has hotels. If you're into reasonably serious hillwalking, Glenridding has the merit that you can go up Helvellyn from there.

There are plenty of nice walks to do around Ullswater, ranging from gentle strolls to Helvellyn.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay suggestion please

Buttermere is a nice spot and the Bridge Hotel generally gets good reviews. The walk around the lake is recommended. It is easy, scenic and includes a tunnel through a rock. There is a waterfall at Scale Force. You are within easy reach of more touristy places such as Keswick as well as the Honister slate quarry/museum and Borrowdale. Cockermouth is a nice little town that by and large the tourists haven't found yet.

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay suggestion please

It might not be exactly what you are after, but I like staying in Hawkshead. It's a fairly small village and not as touristy as others, and it does have the advantage of a few good pubs all in walking distance. Check reviews for the Queens Head - some mixed comments, but I've stayed twice and always had a good experience there.

5. Re: Where to stay suggestion please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2009, 07:35