We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with itinerary

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Topic
help with itinerary

I am hoping to spend a week in the Lake District in August. I will be travelling from Ireland and will hire a car. Is the nearest airport in Manchester? I have never been before and would like some help with an itinerary. We are a young(ish) couple, like nice scenery, walks (not too hilly), castles, lakes, picnics etc.

Also I dont know if its better to stay in a hotel/B&B or self catering. Sorry for all the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated

Keswick
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with itinerary

Hi Mo

Manchester is about 1.5/2 hours, liverpool and Newcastle are a similar distance. Walks will at the very least be hilly (but you're young!). Ther are many walks around lakes that will be flatish. Most lake afficiados prefer the northern lakes (Ambleside up). Lots to do, check tripAdvisor and try Cumbria tourism for lots of information.

B&B/hotel or self catering is down to personal preference. You can travel around from place to place with b&b, but are constrained with meal times etc.

Have a great break!

ps. I note you're from Dublin - did you get to see Leonard Cohen?

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: help with itinerary

thanks for your quick response, is it possible to have a base in one place for a week or is it better to stay in a few different places

I have moved to Cork since my last post, I saw Rod Steward in the marquee in Cork and he was excellent

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with itinerary

Hi Mo,

I would suggest you head for Keswick from either Manchester airport or Liverpool airport.From both airports you need to head for M6 motorway.From M6,its well signed for Lake District.

Keswick is a lovely town,full of shops,restaurants,cafe"s,pubs.There are nice walks around Keswick,from Derwent Water Circular walk to Catbells mountain.There are reviews & photo"s of both walks on my profile.Both walks have great views of mountains and Lakes.There are also boat trips in Keswick,head for boating landing stage near the Keswick theatre.There are two parks in Keswick,Hope Park & Fitz Park.In the parks you can walk around the gardens,play crazy golf,pitch&putt,tennis,bowls and enjoy a picnic.There are picnic areas when walking around Derwent Water circular walk.For a short walk,head to Friars Crag.The walk again starts at Keswick boating landing stage.You can also hire a rowing boat at Keswick boating landing stage.

There are lots of Guest houses in Keswick,plus hotels.I can recommend a nice guest house,friendly and a good english breakfast to start your day.

Glendale Guest House

www.glendalekeswick.co.uk

The guest house is only 5 mins walk into town.

There is also a market in Keswick,Saturdays & Thursdays.

Whilst in Keswick,take daily trips to Ambleside,Coniston,Buttermere,Windermere.

There are many walks in all these areas.

Enjoy your trip.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with itinerary

Morning Mo,

I think Ryan Air fly into Blackpool, if so that would be your nearest airport and you could probably hire a car from there. If not then I would recommend coming into Liverpool and getting a car from there, Liverpool airport is right on the motorway system and getting onto the M6 would be very easy.

I have stayed in a B&B in Grasmere and it was lovely and Grasmere is quite central in the Lakes. You can either drive out each day to different areas to explore or just leave the car and walk from Grasmere to Ambleside. There are also some lovely restaurants in Grasmere, the B&B is called Raise View and I would certainly recommed it.

Enjoy your stay and if you get the chance drive up to Tarns Howse and have a walk round the tarn - just super.

Keswick
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with itinerary

Forgot about blackpool, this is a good option. If you are a couple, self catering may work out expensive. Think about picking out a couple of good b&bs in different towns, villages, say 2 nights at each. If you find a good base, you can get around the LD quite easily, it is pretty compact. I've also heard good reports on Glendale, tho' TA will give you good guidance on B&Bs.

My brother in Wexford saw Crosby Stills & Nash in Cork recently.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with itinerary

Self-catering vs B&B is a personal preference, of course, but let me explain why I vastly prefer self-catering in case that helps you.

First, you are completely in control of your schedule. No meal times to worry about. I find it much more relaxing not having other people around.

Second, you have much more space in self-catering. If you have lots of walking kit, especially if you need to lay it out to dry after the heavens open half way round your walk (an unavoidable fact of Lake District holidays!), you'll find that much easier in self-catering.

Mind you, I love cooking, and if you don't, then the balance would certainly change.

Manchester, Liverpool, and Blackpool airports would all be easy enough. Leeds-Bradford would also be a reasonable choice if you happen to be able to get a flight there. I'd strongly recommend hiring a car for the trip. There is public transport in the Lake District, but you have much more flexibility with a car.

I'd probably just stay in 1 place for the whole week. You won't run out of things to do if you pick your base carefully. PhilfromCheshire is spot on about Keswick. Grasmere might be worth considering as well, although it's substantially more touristy, which you may or may not consider a problem. If you want somewhere a bit more out of the way (and here you'd definitely need a car) you could try somewhere in Langdale, such as Chapel Stile or Elterwater. Ullswater is another lovely area: Glenridding or Patterdale make nice bases.

As Whinlatter says, you'll find hills in most walks in the Lake District, but there is great variation in how challenging they are. You don't have to go up Scafell Pike if you don't want to. Most lakes have lovely walks around them. You can do circuits of most of the smaller lakes, which are mainly flat. Derwent Water, Crummock Water, Buttermere, Grasmere, Rydal Water (the latter 2 can be done together if one isn't enough) and Thirlmere are all suitable. There's also a lovely walk you can do around part of Ullswater if you get the Ullswater Steamer from Glenridding to Howtown, and then walk back.

You might want to check out the book "Lake District Walks" (http://tinyurl.com/lfqo69) and its companion book "More Lake District Walks". They have a great many suggestions for walks of all difficulty levels, and will tell you what sort of terrain to expect.

Enjoy!

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with itinerary

Hi Mo

My friend and I would be going to the Lake District in October 09. We have actually booked a B & B called Hall Garth in Keswick which would be our base for 4 nights.

The best thing about Hall Garth for us is that we pay for 3 nights and the 4th night is free. We are travelling on budget. If this works for you, you might email to tracey@traceybaker.orangehome.co.uk

Dublin
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: help with itinerary

thank you for all your help, you are all so kind to take the time to help on these boards

cumbria
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with itinerary

Hi MO2004, I live in LD and travel back to Ireland regularly (to Clare or Dublin). My preferred airport would be Blackpool, small and easy access. Liverpool way too crowded, Manchester main stream so huge. Newcastle is an option but not one I ever use, it is again that bit further. My sister has come in once to Glasgow (the one Ryan air use ) but again this is further. I would fly Blackpool if Dublin convenient for you.

You need a car. Public transport here is not good. A car is a must- much of the areas attractiveness is the remoteness, hence not good links for transport.

The areas recommended in the previous posts all sound good to me. I don't travel that side of the lakes much but hear good things about it.

Again if you are self catering a car will allow you flexibility for shopping for food etc.

Castles- Carlisle of all places has a castle! But really I can't comment much as we tend to do more hiking and cycling. The walks here are either incredibly steep or flat. When you decide on a base, you can get advice on walks. I would contact local ramblers section for best walks to suit you. If you want somewhere less touristy, I recommend Wasdale- highest mountain, Scafell, deepest water, Wastwater smallest church. But there is loads of lovely scenary all over.

Watch out for mountain passes- often single track road with passing spaces- think Irish Bothrin but without grass growing down the middle. Another thought is that if you go to less tourist end, then you get better service. My local hotel runs free shuttle buses to transport people to Wastwater and local pubs- all to try and encourage tourism. Grassmere is lovely- I also suggest Ambleside for coffee and cakes and stroll through the town.

10. Re: help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 05:16