We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

I will be coming to the lake district in with 7 other friends for the august bank holiday weekend. I have been to the lake district twice (for short trips as well).

I have done quite a bit of the villages themselves (even though these are not quite my thing). Am much more interested in hiking / walks in nature (hikes of

Am staying in the windermere marina and we are considering right now whether or not to rent a car.

My question is what walks / hikes would people recommend (easy to moderate difficulty without needing any equipment) preferably around the windermere/ keswick / coniston area as we are staying there.

I have done 2 in my past trips that I have really enjoyed:

- walk from howtown to glenridding (along ullswater)

- walk around the mountains in coniston (not up to the old man though)

I have read goo reviews about the ones on skiddaw or around the mountains in derwent water. Does anyone have good recommendations?

Helvellyn
Mountains, Hiking Trails
Sheffield Pike
Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

Looking for walks of up to 6 hours and having great views

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

Hi Whisper,

If your looking for walks around Keswick area,i recommend you try Derwent Water Circular walk,great views.Also close by is Catbells mountain.Both walks are easy to moderate.Photo"s/review of both walks on my profile.

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Cumrbia
Level Contributor
76 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

It's up to you what you're looking for, be it great views on the well worn tracks or a little more remote and less crowded. Have a look at http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/ldwalks.html this site will give you some good pointers.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

The walk up to Sweden Bridge from ambleside is good and Lougrigg Terrace is also nice. From Keswick Latrigg is a good but fairly easy walk.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

When you say the "windermere / keswick / coniston area", do you really mean that? Windermere and Coniston aren't too far from each other, but Keswick really isn't in the same part of the Lakes.

However, if you are visiting the Keswick area, I can certainly recommend the walk up Skiddaw. It's one of the highest peaks in the Lakes (4th highest IIRC) and has great views from the top, and it's a really easy walk up. OK, as you'd expect for a peak of that height, it gets pretty steep in places, but it's a nice well-made path all the way.

Just make sure you pick a clear day for it. It can be a bit depressing to get all the way up only to see the view of the inside of a cloud.

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Skiddaw
Skiddaw
129 Reviews
Lake District, UK
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

I second the Skiddaw suggestion. The walk is well signposted too from Spooney Green Lane behind Keswick Leisure Centre. You can park the car for free there too (Well you could last year, that might have changed now!).

The views are fantastic on a clear day and there were even small children at the summit which gives an indication of the difficulty.

Mentioned in this post
Skiddaw
Skiddaw
129 Reviews
Lake District, UK
Lake District
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

Walk up Wansfell Pike from Ambleside (steep but worth it for the views from the top. Then carry on over the top to Troutbeck and call into the Queen's Head or Mortal Man for some lunch.

Walk back through Troutbeck Village, around Robin's Lane and eventually vua Jenkin Crag back to Ambleside.

The walk gives you a bit of everything - summit, views, nice village and pub lunch.

David

www.purelakeland.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Ambleside
Ambleside
Lake District, UK
Troutbeck
Troutbeck
Lake District, UK
London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

Thanks all.

I will take a look at the suggestions for the Derwent circular walk, the walk through troutbeck village and walk to skiddaw.

Do you know approximately an average pace time for these walks

Webby, on the website

http://www.lakedistrictwalks.com/ldwalks.html

do you know whether total distance is for a return trip?

London
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

Nautius Maximus,

Yeah I mean that. :-) I don't mind going to the keswick area (either by bus or car) as it is not too far.

And I will be able to show friends the scenery on the way as well!

10. Re: Walks in the Lake district (29th-31st)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 06:17