We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First visit to the Lakes

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First visit to the Lakes

Hi there. Can anyone give 3 very confused but enthusiastic walkers some advice as to where to stay in the Lake District? We like peace and quiet, beautiful views, access to a shop if poss, ability to walk from the cottage without getting into a car everyday and somewhere to sit out and take it all in. We are not keen on touristy honeyspots but don't want to be too remote and spend all our time travelling to places. We have walked in Yorkshire, Exmoor, Northumbria and the Peak District but feel we should get to the Lakes before we get too old to walk them!

Many thanks

Cathy Cox

Keswick
Level Contributor
40 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First visit to the Lakes

Hi Cathy

It can only be the distance that's stopped you from visiting the Lakes previously!

Many consider the Northern Lakes (Grasmere - up and across) to have the edge. Windermere and ambleside are more 'developed'. Before moving to the Lakes, we would stop off in Ambleside on the way home and do the shops. Borrowdale, Buttermere, Ullswater I consider the Mayfair, Park Lane & regent street of the region. Keswick is a bustling market town, tho' quieter in Winter, like most places. TA may help you to choose somewhere special to stay, it sounds like you are looking for self catering?

Enjoy your stay.

Gosford, Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First visit to the Lakes

I find Keswick, Ambleside and Windermere far too crowded to be really relaxing. Coniston and Langdale are a good bet - we stayed in nearby Torver this year and has a lovely time. If you want remote than the Western Lakes are hard to beat, look at Wasdale, Eskdale and the Duddon Valley - scenery is gorgeous and the crowds a lot thinner (although they may prove challenging for the shopping - if self-catering I'd buy most of the week's food enroute but leave a few 'gaps' to pick up local specialities as they're encountered).

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First visit to the Lakes

Dear All

Quite true - the Lakes do seem along way north!

Thank you both for your advice - I'm expecting a deluge of brochures tomorrow - with maps - so I will be able to check out where you are recommending. North and west seems to be what we are looking for so we shall be cocentrating on those areas, Thank you very much.

Cathy

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First visit to the Lakes

Langdale or around Ullswater should fit the bill very nicely.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First visit to the Lakes

Thank you everyone!

Now wading through far too many brochures in an attempt to find 3 bedroomed cottage (old) in Keswick area (but not Keswick itself) in pretty surroundings, with views and a garden (or least, sitting out area) in smallish hamlet but with pub and shop and walks from the doorstep. Am I being over optimistic??!!

Any recommendations anyone...?

Cathy

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First visit to the Lakes

No, I think you have perfectly realistic expectations. Inevitably there will be something in your ideal that you'll have to compromise on, but I expect you'll be able to satisfy the main requirements. I don't have any specific cottages to recommend (unless you'd settle for 2-bedroom cottages), but I'm sure they exist and you'll find them if you look through the brochures.

I can recommend the village of Braithwaite, if you find a cottage there. It's near Keswick, it has 3 pubs and a shop, and you can do some lovely walks from there without needing your car. But that's just a place I happen to have been to a few times and know well. I'm sure there are many other places just as good.

You could try phoning up the cottage companies who have sent you the brochures, explaining your requirements, and see what they suggest.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First visit to the Lakes

I think the Ullswater area might fit the bill. Take a look at Pooley Bridge or Glenridding areas. Both lovely with Ullswater and walks on the doorstep. Try the Cumbrian Cottages website for accommodation.

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First visit to the Lakes

We can always do 2 beds as long as one of them isa twin! Any suggestions gratefully received...

Thank you!

Cathy

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First visit to the Lakes

This is not exactly a "cosy country cottage" in true Lakes style (and these do tend to be more rural), and I have not stayed in it myself so can't comment on the accommodation but I do know the house - have walked past it many times and the location is fab:

cumbrian-cottages.co.uk/…

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First visit to the Lakes

Had just found it and marked it as a favourite! Will check the rest of the website out and report back - thank you!