We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If not Keswick, where to stay?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
If not Keswick, where to stay?

I have been trying to book a B&B (2 rooms) in Keswick for 2 nights at the end of July, and I am not having any luck. It seems that the Keswick Convention and a large religious retreat are going on during that time. I think that we will try to avoid Keswick if it has that much going on during our visit. My question is: what other town in the Lake District is beautiful and quaint, possibly a little off the beaten path?

1. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 11:58
Edited: 29 April 2015, 11:58
Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

Hawkshead or Coniston would be good places to stay if you want to be in the central lakes but are villages rather than towns.

If you want somewhere a bit off the beaten track I'd recommend Caldbeck or Hesket Newmarket, though these are even smaller villages (one main shop/one pub type places).

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

May seem like a daft suggestion now but If you're not going until July why not try Cockermouth. Its out of the way. It has a full range of facilities. Its a good centre for exploring the north and western lakes such as Buttermere, Loweswater, Ennerdale and the Caldbeck Fells as well as the cliff coast at St Bees.

The clean-up will be long finished by then and they could certainly use the business.

London
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

Grasmere is nice although a little quiet in the evening,there are some great walks from the village, we went up to Easdale Tarn, which was fantastic!

Bowness on Windermere is also great if you are looking for a bit more in the evening!

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

I'd seriously consider Coniston. It's a smallish town, but has shops and a couple of pubs, which is really all you need, and it fits your requirement of being a bit off the beaten track. Lots of lovely walking to do there, from gentle strolls along the lake shore to climbing the Old Man.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

Hi,

I will second NautiusMaximu,Coniston is a beautiful small villages.

For a nice place to stay in Coniston,view "Black Bull Inn.

It has a bar,restaurant & accomodation.Its popular with walkers and i recommend you try a pint of "Bluebird beer".

There are reviews of Black Bull Inn on Trip Advisor.

Places to see in Coniston-:

Brantwood House,previous home of John Ruskin.

Ruskin Museum.

Beatrix Potter Hill Top House.

Steam Yacht Gondola.

Blue Bird Cafe which is situated on the shores of Coniston Water.

If you need a taxi in Coniston,nearest is Hawkshead-:015394 36946.

There is a tourist information centre in Coniston village.The staff are friendly and know the area and surrounding areas very well.

If you do enjoy walking ie-: mountain,i do recommend Old Man Coniston.

There are shorter,low level walks in the area.

Cockermouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas, Cockermouth
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

I second Cockermouth too...still nice to walk round, places starting to open all the time...and near to keswick on the bus to save trying to park...

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

Ambleside is well located and it is easy to get to most other towns and villages in the Lakes District from there. If it is a village, but a fairly large one.

A smaller and more charming village is Grasmere, which is just north of Ambleside. It has a little place that makes amazing gingerbread.

Hawkeshead is another lovely little village, again quite small and well worth a visit, but it could be difficult to find acommodation there in peak tourist season.

Restaurant recommendations: Felini's in Ambleside, the Drunken Duck just outside Hawkeshead, and Chesters at Skelwith Bridge for lunch/morning tea/afternoon tea.

lancashire
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

I hope you haven't booked anything yet. I strongly recommend Consiton. We visit the Lakes often & Coniston is just what you are looking for.

Plenty of walking, a beautfiul lake to walk to,a lovely village with several pubs to choose from.

We have been for Christmas which had it's problems because of the snow but the locals are so helpful and friendly.

Accommodation was excellent I recommend www.conistonholidays.co.uk David & Jean Johnson have several properties, the bungalow we were in was clean and provided everything we needed & more.

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: If not Keswick, where to stay?

Why not try www.watendlathguesthouse.co.uk if you still fancy B and B in Keswick. They have lovely rooms, very spacious and it is only a 5 min walk into town.

As for Keswick Convention, yes it is busy but most of the day they are all in the big tent listening to services, the biggest problem is parking at that time of year!