We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coniston or grasmere?

egypt
6 posts
Save Topic
Coniston or grasmere?

hi

im planning to visit lake district in march with my wife , and we decided to stay in windermere for 3 days , and we want to spend two more days in another area in the lake district , and after searching in the internet , we found that we have two choices : Coniston and grasmere , and we need your help :

which one of them do you recommend , regarding scenes , quietness, walks , attractions , things to do in night and the easiness to reach

thank you alot for your help

egypt
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

i also put Keswick in my mind , what do you thing?

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

I'd choose Grasmere. Nice little village, nice walks in the area, good restaurants and pubs.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

Hi,

Grasmere is a lovely village,picturesque.There are shops,pubs/food,great walks from village and here are places to visit in Grasmere-:

Dove Cottage.

Easedale Tarn.

Heaton Cooper"s art gallery & shop.

Grasmere & Wordsworth museum.

St Oswald"s church.

There is also a tourist information centre in the village.

If you like hiking,try Helm Crag.

From the village,walk down the lane from village and you will eventually come to a path leading you to the lake.Its a short walk.

Grasmere is 10 miles from Keswick,15-20 mins drive.

Coniston.

Again,a nice place to visit.

Visit Brantwood House & Garden,

The Ruskin museum

Beatrix Potter House and Steam Yacht Gondola.

If you get the chance,take a drive through Hardknot & Wrynose passes,steepest roads in UK.

Personally,i think you should start your trip by visiting and staying in Keswick.Mainly because there is more to see and do here.

A nice,friendly B&B in Keswick is Glendale Guest House.Its only 5-10 mins easy walk to Keswick town.

www.glendalekeswick.co.uk

Keswick is a lovely little town with shops,cafe"s,restaurants,pubs,hotels,fish&chip shops,museums,cinema and a lovely theatre which is located by the lake.

There are two parks in Keswick,Hope Park and Fitz Park.They both have well maintained gardens.Also in the parks you can play crazy golf,bowls,tennis,cricket pavillion and putting green.There are sitting areas in both parks to enjoy a picnic or just sit back and relax and listen to the birds.

If you like walking,i highly recommend you do Derwent Water Circular Walk.Its a flat walk and you will see great scenery.Review and photo"s on my profile.If you like boat trips or want to hire a rowing boat,head to Keswick boating landing stage which is very close to the theatre.

There is a market in Keswick on Saturdays and on Thursdays during high season.

There is also a bus from Windermere station to Keswick.

There is a regular bus service from Penrith Railway station to Keswick.

There is a tourist information centre in Keswick Town at The Moot Hall.

For more info on Keswick,visit-:

www.keswick.org

OR

e-mail tourism@keswick.org

Museums in Keswick-:

Cars of the stars motor museum.

www.carsofthestars.com

Cumberland Pencil Museum.

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk

I recommend you visit Honister Slate Mine.

www.honister.com

If you need a taxi in Keswick,contact_:Davies 017687 72676.

If you want to know about places to eat in Keswick,contact me on Trip Advisor and i will do my best to help or guide you.

Enjoy your visit to Lake District.

lancashire
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

If you haven't decided yet. We've been to Coniston for Christmas & it is perfect. Peaceful, walks a plenty, lovely village with several pubs. A short walk to a beautiful lake. Locals very friendly.

accommodation was via www.conistonholidays.co.uk

Grasmere for us was too quiet & cut off in the evening.

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

Grasmere is very touristy, almost a collection of hotels and tourist shops, but all very tasteful and attractive.

Coniston is much more a real living village, although not without touristy shops. A choice of 4 pubs in the village all offering food. We spend a week every year in early September and find the pubs very quiet after early evening when people have eaten, so evenings in March are likely to be very quiet.

It is an ideal location for varied walks and easy for car parking.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

Grasmere and Coniston are close to Windermere. Keswick is a bit further away, and would give you a chance to explore a different part of the Lake District.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

. Can I throw a spanner in the works and say Ullswater and if funds allow lunch at Sharrow Bay-one of the most memorable lunch along with a magnificent view of the lake I have experienced .My parents in law have spent many enjoyable times around Grasmere.

8. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 10:05
Edited: 01 May 2015, 10:05
egypt
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

thank you all for your helpful responces

10. Re: Coniston or grasmere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 05:15