We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wastwater?

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Wastwater?

I'm considering a short walking tour, a circle from Ravensglass, in early June. I've walked around Derwentwater and Grasmere, and while I sometimes found some of those trials "too popular," the Wasdale/Wastwater area looks pretty remote. For a middle aged woman, would it be "glorious solitude" (which I like) or "lonely and deserted," which I might not? I'm not one to see the boogeyman behind every fence (what really worries me is bears!), but I do like to say an occasional "Good morning." Does ithe area get a fair number of walkers? Thanks for any advice!

uk
Level Contributor
384 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wastwater?

We walked from Ravenglass over to Nether Wasdale (stopping at Strands Inn) and then up the valley and then over into Ennerdale and then Buttermere in August last year. I would say the early part of the walk was pretty much glorious solitude but the walk up the valley was busier - with a fair bit of traffic heading up the valley to Wasdale Head which is one of the popular starting points for going up Scafell Pike. Fantastic views - I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Eskdale is a lovely valley for walking too - and a trip on the miniature railway always takes me back to my childhood!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wastwater?

More "Glorious solitude". You are away from the day-trippers, but you won't be alone.

But not many cafes or fish & chip shops...

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,797 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wastwater?

In addition to the above comments, the following might be of interest (though it doesn't particularly address your questions!). See the bits about the driving approach/walks

www.edgeguide.co.uk/cumbria/wastwater.html

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article6529729.ece

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/lakes8.htm

I haven't been since I was a teenager (and I'm way off that now), but personally I found it a brooding but imposiing and impressive place to see - absolutely unforgettable.

Not sure I'd do it alone to be honest, as although it made an impact on me, a little bit of that was because I found it a bit eerie!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wastwater?

I don't think it will be deserted as there always seem to be others with similar ideas wherever you go in the Lake District. You are more likely to come across more serious fans as opposed to regular tourists who only stick to the main areas such as Ullswater, Windermere, Ambleside etc.

Around the lake itself there isn't a whole lot of commercial stuff happening - it is certainly a beautiful view - almost scary when you see the dark rock of the mountains and how they tower over the lake. However if you are looking for choice in terms of pubs etc you will be limited as they are quite far apart. But if you want remote and beautiful it will tick both boxes.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wastwater?

Thank you all--'twixt, those are some lovely photos in one of the links. I don't mind the lack of pubs as once I'm on the trail I'm usually good for the day--but it does sound as if I might need to stock up on picnic wine before I start!

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wastwater?

Wasdale pubs are the Strands and the Screes (opposite each other in Nether Wasdale) and the Wasdale Head at the other end of the lake - nothing but glorious views in between!

I find this local website quite useful:

http://www.wasdaleweb.co.uk/index.html

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wastwater?

I think you'll enjoy Wastwater. It should be reasonably quiet in early June (provided that you avoid Bank Holidays) but there will be enough people around for it not to feel isolated.

One thing you might want to be aware of is that the path along the bottom of the screes is quite rough in the middle - the path disappears and you have to scramble over a boulder field - nothing technically difficult but a little enervating, particularly if you're carrying a big pack. The road on the other side is quiet enough to be a pleasant walk. Alternatively you could walk over the top of the screes.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wastwater?

Thank you for reminding me about those pesky bank holidays! I'll try to fit it between that and the end of school. Its a self-guided walk with luggage transfer (hurrah) so even if the path gets dicey, I won't have much to carry. Although I do remember one "scramble" in the Yorkshire Dales, which the directions described as "much easier than it looks. . ." which was true, once you managed the first 10 feet STRAIGHT UP. Yikes!

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wastwater?

If the scramble you are talking about in the Dales is Gordale Scar, nothing on the Wastwater shore path is anything like as difficult so if you got up the Scar you shouldn't have any problems.

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wastwater?

Yep, that was it. :-( Sounds like this should be a piece of cake!