We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aira Force

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Aira Force

Can anyone please tell me if the walk up to Aira Force from the car park is very far and/or very difficult? I can walk okay but my husband sometimes has problems with a troublesome knee, one of the joys of getting older!

Thanks.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aira Force

It's about a 10 -15 minute walk from the car park to the start of the falls. The walk to the start of the falls is through woodland and can be quite muddy in wet weather ( as can the car park itself) but it's level. Look out for the log with the pennies pushed into it. The steps up to the falls are are steep in places. They can also be wet and a bit slippery. Sadly I don't think it's ideal for someone with walking dififculties but in dry weather you could give it a go and turn back it if it's too much. There is a cafe by the car park if your husband wants to wait for you while you sprint to the falls and back!

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aira Force

Thank you so much!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aira Force

You're welcome.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
200 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aira Force

My father has arthritis in his knees and managed the Aira Force round without too much difficulty. If in doubt you might try approaching the falls via the path on the east (right) side of the stream. This is the opposite direction to the way people usually do it but you can view the falls from below without going down the steep steps. It is also easy to retreat if it does turn out to be too much. Conversely if you feel that you can make it up to thw top bridge, you can have a go and see how you feel. My advice would be to have a go, proceed with caution and retreat if you need to.

England
Level Contributor
1,072 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aira Force

Hi Orkneyfan

I just wanted to thank you again for your help and advice. We have just returned home after our week's holiday having had a wonderful trip to the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District.

Having watched the weather forecast previously, we visited Aira Force on a lovely dry, sunny day and both my husband and I made it to the very top of the falls, way past all the bridges. We loved every minute of it all and we not only saw the log with the coins pushed into it but also pointed it out to others who would have walked by without seeing it - we may well have missed that too if you hadn't mentioned it. We both agreed that the visit to Aira Force was well worth the effort and our only comment (together with similar comments from many others in our age group there that day) was that the National Trust should perhaps provide a few more seats along the pathways to give older and more disabled folk a resting place to enable them to then go on up higher and enjoy all that beautiful area.

Thanks again Orkneyfan, you're a diamond!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aira Force

You're very welcome, Eyepye. I'm so pleased you both managed to get up to the top of the falls. Yes, a few more seats wouldn't go amiss!

Edited: 21 June 2010, 10:20
7. Re: Aira Force

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 05:15