We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsite recommendations

lytham uk
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Campsite recommendations

Does anyone have any campsites they would recommend in the Lakes?

I'm taking my boyfriend (who is not sold on the camping idea) for 3 days next week for my birthday. After an initial camping trip to wales squashed into a 2 man tent (we are both over 5ft 10) i've invested in a large luxury tent with electric hook up. I've stayed in Coniston in a lovely campsite before with a friend but am looking for something nice and busy with lots of ammenities to keep my football and entertainment loving partner happy (think big kid!)

Any help would be gratefully received! Thanks

Sarah

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
483 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsite recommendations

Hello there, from just down the road!!

I'm not a big fan of camping either, but bit the bullet last year and stayed with friends at Hawkshead campsite. It doesn't have loads of amenities but its only a 2 minute walk into the centre of Hawkshead for all the pubs and 10 minutes drive up to Grizedale Forest where the Go Ape aerial assault course will definitely appeal to your 'big kid' (a bit like myself!!).

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsite recommendations

If you want a selection of pubs etc I think you need to aim to be closer to one of the larger areas such as Keswick or Windermere. Or just go wild-pitching a tent wherever takes your fancy and take a portable TV.....

lytham uk
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsite recommendations

thanks for the help peeps - i've been looking at the one in Hawkshead and one in Windermere so think i must be on the right track - just depends where we can get in as the big kid is also a teacher so means going in 1/2 term. I'd be happy anywhere but to convince him i think i need at least a hot shower or something!

Thanks to both of you for your help :O)

p.s. couldn't respond to a local today without saying woo hoo - go Blackpool FC!! so proud!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsite recommendations

A good campsite in Lake District is Great Langdale.

www.nationaltrust.org.uk

It is ideal location for walking,pick between Langdale Pikes,Bowfell,Crinkle Crags,Lingmoor and scafell Pike.

There is a pub called Old Dungeon Ghyll over the road from campsite.

Campsite costs-:from £7.50 per tent/per night,inc.one adult.

contact-:015394 63862.

A good campsite book to have is "the best campsites in Britain & Ireland" by Alan Rogers.

Preston, United...
Destination Expert
for Preston
Level Contributor
421 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsite recommendations

Hi,

Thought I would add to this thread as my request is pretty similar, hope nobody minds.

I am looking for a family friendly site for 2 nights for family of 4 (11 year old and a 3 year old) anywhere in the lakes. Currently looking at Low Wray but open to suggestions. Access to lake and other 'activities' would be ideal.

Any help greatfully received

Bill

Edited: 06 June 2010, 21:16
Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsite recommendations

Hi Bill,

Low Wray Campsite is what you maybe looking for.Its a National trust campsite.The campsite is situated on the western Shore of windermere.

Views of Wansfell Pike and The Fairfield Horseshoe.

www.nationtrust.org.uk

www.ukcampsite.co.uk

To get to campsite,set your Sat Nav to-:LA22-0JA.

7. Re: Campsite recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 06:18