We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake District in a day or two

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Lake District in a day or two

I would like to plan a trip for my parents and I to the Lake District. The amount of information on the net is overwhelming to say the least, and the area is huge, so I would really appreciate help.

I plan to take a train from Glasgow to Oxenholm/ Windermere. My mum is keen to visit Grasmere to see Dover Cottage and Wordsworth's grave. Since we are without a car, is the bus service by stagecoach convenient to get around? And what is worth seeing in what short time we have?

Does anyone know of any budget accomodation? I'm thinking of taking the train back to Glasgow the every same day since most hotels are expensive.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake District in a day or two

A couple of quick thoughts:

You might want to get off the train at Penrith instead of at Oxenholme if your time is limited, as you'll get there first. I'm not that familiar with the buses, but I dare say you could get a bus from Penrith to Keswick, and the route along the A66 on the way has some cracking views. Keswick is a nice enough town, and you could probably get a bus from there to Grasmere, which again would take you through some lovely scenery.

Are you planning to do any walking, or just see the scenery from afar? You probably won't have time for much if you're just there for a day, but if you stay for a night or two you'll have more options.

As for budget accommodation, would Youth Hostels be an option for you? Failing that, no doubt others could come up with recommendations for affordable B&Bs, although I almost always stay in self catering accommodation when I go, and it's very hard to book that just for a night or two.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake District in a day or two

The main road running North South through the lake district is the A591 which connects Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere and Keswick. There is a reasonably regular bus service between these towns.

www.mountain-goat.com gives details of a long established company that runs tours to more remote parts of lake district by mini-bus.

Steamers run on Lake Windermere but you should note that it is a couple of miles from Windermere station to the lake.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake District in a day or two

Is there any possibility of taking a car? The buses are OK but won't let you get around too easily, you can see much from the comfort of your car. Given your limited time I'm assuming you're not planning any walks? If you had a car you could look to move out of the touristy areas, Cockermouth is about 15 mins from Keswick and they have a travel lodge with room from £35 per night.

I reckon even renting a car might even be a viable option if there are 3x train tickects.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake District in a day or two

I'm not up to date on budget accommodation as most of this area is pretty much protected from the budget chains such as Premier Inn and Travelodge which are on the outskirts only.

Using public transport only is going to increase your travel time considerably - to see the Lake District properly you do really need a car.

How much time are you going to allocate? You mention a day trip but also budget accommodation - however you haven't mentioned how much you would be prepared to spend if you were staying a night. I would say you need to allocate a full day as a minimum to see just some of the key areas.

Grasmere/Wordsworth could be anything from around 90 minutes upwards depending on if you want to to do a tour of the village or if you intend to walk around the lake and surrounding area too.

Let us know how much time you definitely want to spend and it will be easier.

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake District in a day or two

Thanks everyone!

Benjii and pepperwhitemini, I'm afraid driving isn't an option, I don't have an international driving license and my mother would be clinging on to her seat for dear life if I were to drive.

At first I thought of arriving at Penrith as NautiusMaximus suggested, then do Penrith-Keswick-Grasmere-Windermere by bus. It is possible; there are buses every half up to 1 hour. Summer 2010 timetables are available on the stagecoach website.

Then I realised that it would be a bit too ambitious to try to squeeze both the north and central lakes into 1 day, so I think I'll choose central lakes over the north. I plan to arrive in Windermere and do Bowness, Ambleside and Grasmere area with the Bus and Boat ticket by Stagecoach for 9 pounds. It covers an open-top bus service and a cruise on the lake.

paul611, Mountaingoat tours seem good, but unfortunately I arrive 30minutes short of its daily tour departure.

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake District in a day or two

And I'm looking forward to try Grasmere Gingerbread!

A friend told me not to miss out on Kendal cakes too.

I read in the forums about the chocolate shop in Keswick, 'fraid I won't be able to make it there.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake District in a day or two

Hi,

There is a regular bus service from Penrith Railway station to Keswick.There is also bus service from Keswick to Windermere station.

Public transport Information at-: Tel No-:0871 200 22 33.

www.traveline.info

If you do decide to return to Glasgow the same day,Penrith is the nearest railway station,which is 20 minutes away from Keswick.

www.thetrainline.co.uk

For bus timetables "The Lakerider" a brochure listing all the summer timetables,is available at Tourist Information centre in Keswick,Moot Hall.Its located in the centre of Keswick town.

For accomodation,why not try a Guest House or B&B.

A guest house in Keswick which i can recommend is "Glendale Guest House.

www.glendalekeswick.co.uk

Your friend is right,dont miss out on Kendal Mint Cake.

8. Re: Lake District in a day or two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2010, 05:17