We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with accomodation and planning!

raanana
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
help with accomodation and planning!

We are planning to visit the area betwen August 8th - 15th. We are looking for a reasonably priced hotel or guest house and would like to pay about 100GBP per room per night, not including dinner. There is so much choice on the internet and I am totally confused! The 4 star hotels seem very expensive, but some of the b&b's and guest houses are too basic.

Which is the best area in which to stay - Grasmere, Ambleside, Windermere or Kendal? We want scenic views and easy access to places of interest and the Lake District tours. We are also looking for vegetarian restaurants .

Any advice on "must sees" in the area? We will have a car but do not wan tto be driving long distances from our base.

All help in planning our visit much appreciated! It is getting very tiring...

Lake District...
Level Contributor
598 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

Add Keswick to your list of possible destinations.

Great scenery ( not sure Kendal can be classed as having scenic views) and fulfils most of your requirements.

There is one vegetarian restaurant and many othershave decent vege options.

raanana
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

Can you recommend somewhere to stay in Keswick?

Lake District...
Level Contributor
598 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

Suggest you use the Trip advisor listings for the type of accommodation you want.

As I live here, I have never used any of the accommodation on offer !

Other visitors may well post suggestions.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

Check out the Masons Arms at Strawberry Bank nr. Windermere masonsarmsstrawberrybank.co.uk

They do have accommodation - have never stayed, but the food is really excellent. Beautiful countryside location.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

Also try the Edwardene. Lovely B & B in Keswick run by a very caring couple..I should really post my review.

Keswick is a fantastic place to stay as it is a great base for so many things. Hiking is nearby, the lake is there, and the town of Keswick is a wonderful place for eating dinner, picking up extra gear, or getting sandwiches for the day's adventure.

Be forewarned--parking in Keswick is a trick. The host at the Edwardene will help you out parking your car. But sometimes you won't get as near the hotel. This goes for the whole town, but don't let it dissuade you.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
207 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

I think Keswick is a good area to stay but I have also stayed in Windermere and had a lovely time. I would recommend The Cedar Manor Hotel at Windermere as one of the best small hotels I have stayed in with very helpful and friendly hosts and lovely food, I regularly stay in Braithwaite near Keswick and there is a nice B&B there called Middle Ruddings. I have only eaten here but friends have stayed and recommend it.

A lovely veggie restaurant is at Cockermouth called Quince and Medlar and the food is very good but booking seems to be required as quite small. Another veggie place my friends use is The Village Bakery at Melmerby near Penrith. I understand there are several vegetarian restaurants in Kendal and at least one in Grasmere and Ambleside and in Keswick but I have not used these.

I think either location is fine. Of course there are plenty of walks at either place high and low but i also like the boat trips on the lakes. You can get off and do some walking or visit places from these too and admire a bit more of the scenery as well. I hope you enjoy your visit.

7. Re: help with accomodation and planning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 05:17