We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambleside or Windermere ?

Patna, India
Level Contributor
175 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Ambleside or Windermere ?

hi My parents and uncles are visting the lake district for the first time for 2 days around the 6th of September. I have looked at websites of hotels like Cedar Manor & Linthswaite house hotel in Windermere and Waterhead in Ambleside.

Which is a more scenic and beauitful location between Windermere amd Ambleside? The waterhead hotel looks really nice? Please pardon my ignorance if it is a stupid question...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

Hi there,

I would pick the hotel which best suits their needs - will they have a car or will they be relying on taxis etc...........I notice the Cedar Manor has 2 red rosettes so the food standard should be excellent.

Scenery wise wherever they stay they will not be disappointed.

I hope they enjoy their trip - we are lucky enough to live only an hours drive a way so we go there quite often.

Patna, India
Level Contributor
175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

Thanks Chelly for the quick reply, they would most likely be having a rented car. In your view, which is the better location, Ambleside or windermere?

Lake District...
Level Contributor
615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

I find Bowness -on- Windermere very touristy and Ambleside less so.

The mountain scenery is better at Ambleside and probably better placed for exploring the Lake District.

Cumbria, UK
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

Which is better? Keswick!

On a more serious note it depends on their interests and expectations really. Windermere is relatively flat compared with other parts of the lakes and there isn’t that great a distance between the two so little (~4 miles) in fact I’d almost class them as one in the same if you have a car. Both offer plenty of easy walks and I do like Windermere Lake, but prefer the scenery and walking further north.

I’d agree with rarrar in saying that the Windermere area is really touristy with Ambleside not too far behind. But then again you’re tourists after all and we’re locals so have different perceptions, either choice will provide a memorable trip.

Lake District...
Level Contributor
615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

There is also Grasmere, a little bit north of Ambleside.

Full of Hotels, B&Bs rather touristy but stunning views of the fells which I think are better than views of the Lakes !

Windemere is at the South end of the Lake District and as far as Fells ( mountains) are concerned right at the very edge.

This means that the tourists there tend not to be of the walking type. Further North and West you get more variety in the type of tourist.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

I stay mostly in the Keswick area and the hills and lakes are great for scenery and of course walking. Last year I stayed at Cedar Manor Hotel and this hotel is fantastic. The hosts are just so helpful and friendly and the food certainly is very good. With a car you really can go anywhere in The Lakes so I do not think it matters too much where you stay . All the places have something to offer and I think your family will enjoy any of them.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

I assume they're probably interested in general touristy things such as a cruise on the lake, walking on the flat around the lake, maybe buying some things from the local shops - in which case there is very little to choose from between the two locations. Waterhead will put them at the north end of the lake and they can get a boat excursion easily from here that will take them to Lakeside at the far end of Windermere or down to Bowness. They could walk from the hotel to the jetty in about 30 seconds. There is also a steam train that stops at Lakeside if they choose to go on this and I believe you can get tickets that allow you to use both the boat and the train. The steam train goes further south to Haverthwaite - both journeys can easily be done as part of a day trip.

If they are staying in this area they should definitely consider visiting Grasmere and Keswick too - again both can be done as part of a day trip.

8. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 12:21
Patna, India
Level Contributor
175 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

Thanks all of you, all your replies has really helped make up my mind.. I think it is the Waterhead Hotel in Ambleside then...

10. Re: Ambleside or Windermere ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 06:17