We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

Hi all,

We're driving from Edinburgh back home to Birmingham on Sunday 24 April (our wedding anniversary) and looking for a particularly nice hotel in the Lake District for that night.

Google, Laterooms & Lastminute are a minefield!

Would you all mind stating your favorites please? Budget is not so important, moreso setting (definitely top of the list); comfort; food quality (restaurant must be integral); comfort and the power of the shower!!

The one that gets the most votes gets the booking!

Thanks a million.

James

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

The only thing with a league table is that you may miss out on some relatively undiscovered gems. Loads more people go to Grasmere than Buttermere, so I suspect you'll get plenty of votes for there and Keswick. But I'd say that the setting of The Bridge Hotel in Buttermere is the best in The Lakes.

Wish I could recommend somewhere else, sound like a broken record - but I just keep going back !

Mike

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

I think you'll be spoilt for choice, there are many wonderful places.

A couple of suggestions that spring to my mind are the Rampsbeck Hotel at Watermillock and Holbeck Ghyll hotel near Windermere. I haven't stayed in either, but have eaten in the restaurants in both, and can highly recommend the food. Holbeck Ghyll has a Michelin star (or at least it did when I went there, which is I think about 5 years ago now, so you might want to check a more recent review to make sure standards have been maintained), and was absolutely first rate. I imagine the accommodation would be of a high standard from the impression I got, but can't confirm that.

The Rampsbeck hotel isn't quite up to the same standard for food, but it's still pretty damn good. It also has a beautiful lakeside location on the shores of Ullswater. Again, can't comment on the quality of the accommodation.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

Hi,

I can recommend "Inn on the Lake hotel".

lakedistricthotels.net/innonthelake/index.php

The hotel is situated in Glennridding,Lake Ullswater.If you book a room,i advise you book a room with a lake view,stunning mountain scenery.

The hotel has its own leisure suite,gym,sauna and jacuzzi.The restaurant food/drink is very good,ideal for wedding anniversary.

Take a trip on Ullswater Steamers,close to hotel.

Enjoy your trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

Hi there,

Inn on the lake gets my vote as well, absolutely superb with spectacular views of the lake and mountains.

This hotel was used as the hotel in the jimmy McGovern drama series the Lakes that was made about 17-18 years ago starring John Simm.

Best wishes

Jake

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

The Lodore Falls at the southern end of Derwent Water is worth checking out.

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
Level Contributor
5,274 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

Another vote for the Inn on the Lake, a very comfortable hotel with good food in a beautiful setting surrounded by stunning scenery.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

Lodore falls is lovely

8. Re: Anniversary hotel April 2011 - where?! Such a choice!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2011, 05:16