We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussies driving Lake District in July

Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Aussies driving Lake District in July

Can anyone tell me if it is essential to book months ahead for accommodation in the peak period. Have been to UK twice before during slower times and had no trouble picking up rooms on the run.

Determined not to miss the Lakes this trip. Probably have 3-4 days, if anyone can suggest things not to miss and a preferred route it would be appreciated.

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,576 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

I wouldn't say it's essential to book months ahead, but booking a few weeks ahead at peak periods is probably wise. Things do get pretty busy in peak periods.

As for a preferred route, where are you coming from and where do you need to end up? What sort of things do you want to do? Do you want to drive through nice scenic routes and look at the scenery from your car, or do you want to go hiking?

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about a precise route. So much of the Lake District is lovely, you can't really go too far wrong.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,478 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

Last week in July is guaranteed to be busy as the schools will be out for summer

Weekends in July will be busy because it's the Lake District

And outside the main towns you may not have much choice in accommodation at all.

Edited: 30 November 2010, 14:36
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

Thanks for the replies. Have picked up a few tips and ideas from reading other post on the forum. Probably find a cental spot to stay as we love driving around and having a full day out. Will book early though, sounds like it can get very busy.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

The Lakes have become a premier tourist spot in recent years, and anytime from May through September can be hectic. I booked a cottage couple of months ago, and have noted its booked solid through May to June already. B & B's are usually available on a nightly basis, but again its wise to book ahead to get your preference. Driving the Lakes is always delightful, ( spent my school years there over many years ). Wherever you choose will be rewarding, there really is no other place quite like it. One days drive i can recommend centers on Keswick going south through Borrowdale, over the Honister pass and returning through the Whinlatter pass. An interesting stop is the "Honister slate mine."

honister-slate-mine.co.uk/honister_slate_min…

If you are based in and around Windermere , the drive taking in Ambleside-Coniston - Hawkshead is interesting, ( beatrix potter country ) or a longer day will take you down through Newby Bridge / Lakeside area where you can take in the Lakeside - Haverthwaite heretage railway. Continuing on the circuit will take you back through Coniston/ Hawkshead.

Many consider Ullswater the prettiest lake and a trip on the steamer is a must. The drive over Kirkstone pass to Glenridding is awesome.

If you enjoy Hiking / walking an easy climb for any is from Hawkshead up to the much celebrated 'Tarn Hows" , or for the really energetic a full day to Helvellyn's Striding edge, one of the most scenic walks in the Lakes.

Enjoy your trip.

Level Contributor
3,385 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

Don't bother with Tarn Hows, its a honeypot and the most overated place in the whole district. It's a very dull walk which is always over run. There are so many fabulous walks of all levels, don't waste any time on one as bad as Tarn Hows

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
728 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

At best, a subjective view that hardly falls into the category of constructive input that may benefit the OP.

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

If you have places you want to book , do it. When I have traveled on the fly, I usually end up with places that would be third or fourth choice. Sometimes it works out great, sometimes you scramble just to find a place... and that is no fun. Life is a gamble, most of the time! :-)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,291 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

If you want a really interesting drive, go from Langdale to Eskdale over the Wyrnose and Hardknott Passes. Gradients as steep as 1:4, many bends, stunning scenery, and a really interesting Roman fort near the top of Hardknott.

Edited: 08 December 2010, 07:24
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
11 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

This really does sound like our kind of place. Thank you for the great suggestions. The good news is that I have managed to replan my overall trip a bit and added another night in the Lakes. Haven't booked yet but will do so before Xmas to ensure we get what we want. May even split to two places now. Plenty of options which I like, thanks again for the help.

Level Contributor
3,385 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussies driving Lake District in July

6. Any opinion is subjective. I was disagreeing with the previous poster because I believed that was the best advice for the OP.