We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in January

Leeds,UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in January

Hello

I've booked to stay in Windermere the 16th & 17th January for my partners birthday. I have planned to stop at a couple of places in the dales on the first day travelling north and have booked a nice meal in pateley bridge. I've also planned a short walk for the second morning in Windermere but have no other ideas for what to do. We'll have transport and like food, fayres, walking, music, quaintness...Can anyone make any suggestions for my itinerary? Also any suggestions for things to do of an evening and/or places to eat...

Thanks in advance :D

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in January

Hi, I'm not a Lakes 'expert' but we visit several times a year so here are some thoughts -

It's probably best to plan for some 'indoor' things to do as well as outdoors in case the weather is unkind.

I've not been to Blackwell House yet but it's high on my list of things to do this year. It reopens just before your stay.

www.blackwell.org.uk

The Lakeland Cafe is a brilliant place for lunch and if you like food you'll enjoy the shop too.

www.lakeland.co.uk/L…

If you are feeling energetic -

www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk

One evening you could enjoy a meal and film at Zeffirellis

http://zeffirellis.com/

We've also had great food at The Drunken Duck and the Punchbowl Inn

www.drunkenduckinn.co.uk

www.the-punchbowl.co.uk

Hope this helps kick off some research

I hope you don't mind me asking but where have you booked in Pateley?

Edited: 04 January 2011, 17:19
Leeds,UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in January

Hi Morgana

Thanks for all of this info. On day one we will visit Brimham Rocks, have a wonder around Pateley Bridge and then we're having Sunday Lunch at the Yorke Arms (in Ramsgill). This is a bit of a budget blower for us so the rest of our stay needs to be cheap n cheerful! We should arrive in Winderemere at 3.30pm. I like the look of Lakeland Cafe, this seems very reasonable for lunch (I will not spend a fortune in the shop, I will not spend a fortune a shop!). I would have loved to hear jazz at Zeffirellis but theres nothing happening during our visit. We don't drink but would be intrerested in live music for evening entertainment, might this be listed anywhere?

This is my 3rd visit to Windermere but this time I'd like to visit another town on day two...which would you recommend? My partner says Coniston (for walking) but I think Keswick (for fun) :)

Thanks morgana!

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,639 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in January

You won't regret the Yorke Arms, wonderful place - lucky you!

I like Keswick very much even though it seems to have an outdoor clothing shop or a teashop everywhere you turn.

I'd definitely recommend you go to the Castlerigg Stone Circle. You can walk there from Keswick, a bit of a trudge up but I have seen many families with children do it, or you can drive up and park opposite the stones where there's room for quite a few cars. The stones are very atmospheric, there's no charge to visit and the view in all directions is stunning.

visitcumbria.com/kes/castlerigg-stone-circle…

You could also use the Circle as a starting point for a longer stroll.

lake-district-guides.co.uk/walksvalley/walks…

If you wanted a lower level walk you could go to Derwentwater next to Keswick. You can walk right the way round which is about 8 or 9 miles but fairly flat and not difficult.

lakedistrict.gov.uk/index/…keswickwalks-2.htm

Sorry, can't help you more about live music, but Zeffirellis is good for a film and a meal if there's anything decent on right now.

Edited: 05 January 2011, 13:38
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
749 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in January

Keswick is probably a better destination for a day than Coniston, particularly in January. This is probably the only month in the year in which you can find some places closed, and Coniston is really only a small village, walking is little more than a walk down to the lake, or up to the Coppermines. I wouldn't recommend anything more strenous unless you have the equipment for the time of year.

Keswick however has plenty of shops, and a number of walks in the area which are suitable for all weathers. If its fine you could try Loughrigg which has a good view of the town and Derwentwater, or drive into Borrowdale which has many walks available.

England
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in January

Bongodog means Latrigg rather than Loughrigg for a walk. If the weather is ok I'd recommend it.

I'd say go for Keswick too. Most of the smaller towns will be quite quiet. There's the theatre by the lake though not sure if there will be anything on that fits your timings and taste.

A walk along the lakeside is lovely, with parts of it being wooded and having a heathy population of red squirrels.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in January

If you get the walking bug and do go to Keswick, then Catbells is a great steep but shortish walk with wonderful views. You'll need a warm coat and decent boots, but I've done it in January with no issues. It's a wonderful walk.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186327-d2…

If the weather is not so good but you'd still like to go outside then the walk around Buttermere is amazing.

Should the weather be really bad, that's the perfect excuse for this : http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/tours/

I've been four times now !

Mike

Lake District...
Level Contributor
615 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in January

Worth checking which of the National Trust and other Historic Properties are open for a bad weather option.

Blackwell a superb Arts & Crafts House in the area reopens on the 14th January and has a good cafe !

http://www.blackwell.org.uk/

Edited: 08 January 2011, 19:26
Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in January

I suggest a trip to Honister Slate Mine,open mid January.Its a indoor/outdoor mountain adventure.

www.honister.com

Keswick is ideal for restaurants,cafe"s,museums,theatre by the lake and good walking area.Walks inc-: Catbells,Latrigg,Derwent Water Circular walk.All walking routes easy to follow.

Ambleside is a ideal place for evening pub entertainment.

Leeds,UK
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in January

Thank you for all of your replies.

The weather isn't looking good but my itineray is fianlised. We will spend the first afternoon in Keswick and have planned an easy walk and a visit to the stone circles at castlerigg. we'll spend the evning in windermere with another easy walk planned for the morning and then spend the afternoon in Coniston. My partner wants to do a more strenuous walk there he did many years ago and it is his birthday afterall. Entertainment is still a bit thin on the ground but thats not really all that important to us, We'll also be driving up to kirkstone pass.

Thanks again

10. Re: Things to do in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2012, 06:20