We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer for romantic weekend

Worcestershire...
7 posts
Save Topic
First timer for romantic weekend

Hi

It is kind of a last minute idea and thinking about planning to surprise my fiancee with a trip to the lakes for valentines, although due to work/uni commitments will be going up Friday 18th Feb for two nights coming back Sunday. Basically looking for some help on where to stay and where to book. I am completely lost and confused about all the options. I have found golakes.co.uk and that seems to be quite a comprehensive site to find places, is this generally a viewed as a good place to book somewhere?

I am looking for a either a nice hotel or guesthouse/BB type place with a budget of up to £150 for the two nights for both or us. Have no idea about locations, I will have my car so can get around quite easily. In terms of what I am looking for

- nice accommodation to relax in (pleasant rooms of reasonable size or space/things to do at accommodation)

- in terms of activities probably hiring a bike and cycling around, taking strolls

- don't mind too much whether in main town as I have my car to get around if necessary

Any suggestions on what to do for couples are welcome. Can anyone recommend a part of the Lakes to stay in or even a hotel/guesthouse for the budget taking into account what I have mentioned.

Many thanks,

Tom

Worcestershire...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

Would just like to mention in terms of location I would prefer to stay away from more central places and get better value for money if there is a premium on this.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,764 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

The ONLY place I have ever stayed in the Lakes, Coley, is Windermere. It is popular though, because it is very pretty, and you can take out rowboats from the resort and boat trips across the Lake. Plus it is the largest lake, and pretty central.

Whatever you do and wherever you go, you sound lovely, so I think you can 'make' a good time for yoursel(ves) wherever you are!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

For a romantic weekend I would recommend you base yourself around the Keswick area. Bike hire is available in Keswick and the mountain scenery is far far better than in Windermere. You could look at a simple walk or bike around Derwentwater - there is a fairly easy path that skirts the lakeshore. For an alternative and relatively easy walk at a higher level it will be difficult to beat the walk to Latrigg. It is possible to park higher up at Latrigg car park from where you can walk the rest of the way - when you get to the top you will get a breathtaking view of Keswick and Derwentwater.

Not far from there you can also do bike hire at Whinlatter Forest (only about 10-15 mins by car). If you fancy going somewhere a little different and quiet then Ennerdale is worth doing. Not many people visit this lake so it's perfect for a quiet walk.

All around the lakes there are plenty of pubs and hotels where you can stop off for some good lunches with good views. I know it's a bit generalistic but there really are lots!

Level Contributor
3,395 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

Keswick is a decent option, and I agree preferable to Windermere.

Another option, which I often suggest is Ullswater, and specifically Glenridding or Patterdale. There are a number of places to stay, somewhere like the Inn of the Lake would ideal, and personally I prefer it to Keswick if you want a quiet break. Keswick is a busy town, very nice town and charming, but town none the less. Lovely walks both big climbs and lakeland strolls, and the likes of Aira Force and High Force waterfalls

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

For a specific recommendation you might like to look at the George and Dragon at Clifton. This is a really lovely place which has the advantage of having rooms AND really good, well priced food in the pub and restaurant. It's a nice relaxed atmosphere - lots of big wooden tables and newspapers, and the food is delicious. The pub itself is very informal, the restaurant is a bit more 'special occasion'.

www.georgeanddragonclifton.co.uk

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

Hi,

I would suggest you view Keswick,small town and popular with locals and tourists.It has restaurants,cafe"s,shops,theatre,cinema,museums,parks (Hope & Fitz park),boat trip (daytime&evening),rowing boat hire,good walking area,bike hire etc.

For walks in Keswick area,view Latrigg,Catbells,Derwent Water circular walk,Friars Crag.For cycle routes,view "Old Railway line and Whinlatter Forest,good cycle routes.

www.KeswickBikes.co.uk

If your driving,from Keswick you may like to see Ambleside,Buttermere,Grasmere,Patterdale,Coniston.

All above areas have good walks.There is a tourist information centre in Keswick (Moot Hall),also Coniston and Ambleside where you can get walking leaflets and bike routes.

For accomodation outside the Keswick area i would recommend "The Inn on the Lake",located in Glenridding on the shores of Lake Ullswater.

Walks in area,view Patterdale area and your not far from Aira Force (Waterfall & walking area).

Accomodation in Keswick area,you may like to view-:

Howekeld

www.howekeld.co.uk

Its situated between town and Lake Derwentwater.

For a more budget Guest House,i can recommend "Glendale Guest House"

wwwglendalekeswick.co.uk

Its located,5-10 mins walk from town,friendly and helpful owners whom know the area,comfortable room,clean and serve a good breakfast.

LakesideHouse.

www.lakesidehouse.co.uk

Lodore Falls Hotel & restaurant.

www.lodorefallshotel.co.uk

I suggest a trip to Honister Slate Mine during your trip.

www.honister.com

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

www.keswick-alhambra.co.uk

www.thetheatrebythelake.com

www.derwentwatermarina.co.uk

There are reviews & photo"s on my profile of walks in Lake District if you wish to view.

7. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 17:12
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

Keswick is always a great place to stay, but I think I'm going to vote for Ullswater, given that you've said you don't mind being outside the main towns. It's a bit quieter, the scenery is absolutely cracking, there are lovely walks at all levels of difficulty, and a trip on the Ullswater Steamers would certainly fit the bill of a nice romantic thing to do. Although be aware that they run a rather limited service during the winter months.

9. Re: First timer for romantic weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 05:17