We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

next week from london to lake district, help!

Egham, United...
1 post
Save Topic
next week from london to lake district, help!

I want to go to the lake district with my girlfriend on 28th March, is it a good time to go? I'm not sure whether to drive or take train to there, which is better?and if take train, is there easy public transport to go around? if drive, is it difficult to drive and find destination? I also don't know how many days to spend there, a one-week long in a cottage or 3-days in a B&B? and please also suggest some most beautiful lakes. thank you

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

undertood, thanks. We were thinking of something on the way and realtively quick - a village, a lookout point, somthing like that, that takes an hour or two. Any ideas?

London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

Hi aeh73

I'd be tempted just to drive straight there without stopping (other than perhaps for a cup of tea at the services), but if you are looking for somewhere to stop, you could do a lot worse than to visit Biddulph Grange, which is not too far off the M6 round about Stoke on Trent. Details here:

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/…

It's a fantastic place to visit, but the danger is you could end up spending a lot more than an hour or two there.

Just one other tip if you're driving to the north lakes: stop at Tebay services on the M6 between junction 38 and junction 39, and buy some of the wonderful stuff from the farm shop there. It is completely unlike any other motorway service station you've ever stopped at.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

thank you!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

TBH the scenery doesn't really get really interesting until around J37 of the M6. Places you could stop on the way include:

1. http://www.levenshall.co.uk/index.asp. A nice drive off the M6. Come off at the Truckhaven exit and go north for about 15 minutes. You'll be on the A6 and will pass through some nice countryside and a village called Milnthorpe. Levens Hall is a little further on the left hand side. It's real draw is its topiary garden - one of the most magnificent in the world. Click on the above link and go to garden.

2. While in this area you can do a diversion to the coast - Silverdale and Arnside are nearby and you can look across the bay to Grange Over Sands from here.

3. There is also Sizergh Castle which is just off the M6 at J36.

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-sizerghcastlegar…

It will take you about 10-15 minutes from the junction. It's a National Trust property and they have a tearoom there as well as local meats. You can also watch the cows being milked!

4. Motorway services - Westmorland/Tebay. They have an excellent farm shop here which sells homemade and speciality meats and other items. I think its J38 you need. They have also just opened on the southbound carriageway too. It is the only privately owned motorway services in England. I wouldn't normally recommend a motorway services but it is totally unique. Some nice views of the Cumbrian mountains in the distance here and they have a picture inside the restaurant which shows you which ones are which. They also have a place just outside the main building here called The Shack where you can buy freshly barbecued burgers, chicken and lamb.

5. If you want somewhere equally scenic as the Lake District come off at J33, head A6 south and look for the signs for Trough of Bowland and Scorton. The Trough is a large scenic area with fells and a valley and Scorton is a small village with a decent tea room. It is only about 15 minutes from this junction.

BTW - If you're heading to Ullswater be sure to stop off at the Inn on the Lake - lovely terrace and gardens round the back for tea. Fantastic view of the lake too and the helicopter lands quite frequently there.

Edited: 21 June 2011, 14:29
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

That's excellent! looks like we're all set now - thank you very much!

16. Re: next week from london to lake district, help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 20:18