We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

halifax
7 posts
Save Topic
Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Hello all,

I live in Halifax and planning to visit Lake District with my 15 month old baby and 65 year old mother for a day.

Could you please suggest a good 1 day itenerary for me. Due to the extreme ages i'm travelling with, long walks/hikings is not preferred.

Just want to enjoy a few hours of natural beauty and ride in my car along some scenic routes and a good cruise.

Please help me out.

Thanks,

Sri

Level Contributor
3,496 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Being brutal, no the Windermere cruise isnt very good. Its the most popular, but it means very busy big boats, And whilst Windermere is nice enough, it lacks the charm of somewhere like Derwentwater, Ullswater or Coniston, all of which have much better boat trips

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Derwentwater
Derwentwater
70 Reviews
Lake District, UK
Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
777 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Fully agree with previous post, a cruise on Windermere is like a day out on the Serpentine. With more crowds. IMO, Ullswater is by far the most beautiful lake and operates two of the oldest steamers anywhere in the world. Lady of the Lake -over 130, and Raven at 120+ . The scenery is wonderfully rugged, with the atmosphere a million miles from the chaotic scenes of Windermere. No trip to Cumbria is complete without including Ullswater.

www.ullswater-steamers.co.uk/index.shtml

Happy travels

Mentioned in this post
Windermere
Windermere
Lake District, UK
Cumbria
Cumbria
England, UK
London
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
1,827 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Another vote for Ullswater. It's lovely.

Also, while you're there, if you have time left after the lake cruise, you can go and visit the Aira Force waterfall. It's a very short hike from the car park to the waterfall, well within the capabilities of the average 65-year-old or someone carrying a baby.

Mentioned in this post
Aira Force
Aira Force
8 Reviews
Lake District, UK
halifax
7 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Thanks a ton for everyone for sharing your valuable advise and experiences.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

While the lake cruises are certainly recommended if you are only doing one day I urge you to take a look at what the Mount Goat Tour company can offer. This way you get to see more of the area, guided tour and someone else does the driving for you.

Years ago we did the one that involved the train...it was spectacular.

http://www.mountain-goat.com/

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
318 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

Keswick offers Lake Cruises on Derwentwater.

www.keswick-launch.co.uk

There is a car park next to Keswick Theatre (pay & display),the boat landing stage is 5 mins walk.From boat landing stage,a short walk is Friars Crag,stunning views.

Keswick town is close,also Hope Park & Fitz park.Hope park offers landscape with stream garden,also crazy golf and ice cream parlour etc.

Trotters World of animals.

www.trottersworld.com

Cumberland Pencil Museum.

www.pencilmuseum.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Keswick
Keswick
Lake District, UK
Derwentwater
Derwentwater
70 Reviews
Lake District, UK
17. Re: Help : need 1 day itenerary in Lake District

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2012, 01:17